Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I posted a couple days ago about my dog needing a biopsy (tiny black scab on his butt- maybe 1/8 of an inch in diameter). Since then I've been trying to channel my energy into exercise, housekeeping, etc (currently unemployed). However, I can't tell you how often I find myself researching "malignant melanoma," "cancer in dogs," etc. I know I'm just torturing myself but I can't help but fear the worst. He's my baby boy and I hope that he doesn't have anything and IF he does, I hope it's something that I can treat in order to give him a normal doggy life (he's 8, and as much as I would like for him to be with me forever and ever, I would be at peace if he lived to be, say, 12. Afterall he's a pug mix and about 25 lbs). Anyway, I'm going on a tangent here. How can I calm myself down? His surgery isn't until the 28th (no earlier appts available unless there's a cancellation). Then of course there's the time I'll have to wait to get the results... I'm going crazy over here. Is it a good sign that the spot has been there for a couple years and has never grown or seem to bother him? He's in otherwise good shape... he eats well, goes to the bathroom regularly and other than slightly slowing down due to age, he's still my playful little guy! Anyway, sorry for going back and forth... sometimes it just helps to write things out. Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you <3 Luckily there was an opening so his surgery will now be on the 24th instead of the 28th. Still can't help but think of the worst. Thanks for all of your support! I'm sure I'll be needing more soon.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm sorry you are so anxious. I would go see your doctor if you are really having issues. He or she may be able to prescribe a short-term anti-anxiety med to help you through this.
I think it's a good sign that the spot has been there and hasn't changed over the past few years.
Did you ask your vet what the probability is that this is malignant? I would give them a call too and tell them how anxious you are...you never know what they might say that might be comforting right now
Most importantly, remember that your sweet dog doesn't want you to worry like this! Dogs live in the moment, I always think how we could learn from them :)
Hang in there! :huddle:

·
Registered
107 Posts
If that spot has been there for a couple of years I would not worry. On the other hand, we have to cherish our time with them since we know they don't live forever. Have faith that it'll all be good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts