Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella seems impossible to house train, I have been trying to house train her since she was 2 months old she is now 6 months old and still peeing in the house, She pee's in the kitchen most of the time and she pee's so much it takes about 20 paper towels to clean it up and about the same on the carpet since it soaks thru our carpet to the plywood she pee's so much. I went to take her outside before bed I opened my bedroom door and she peed on the floor before I could even get to the door to open it. Same thing this morning I go to take her outside I walk straight to the door after leaving my room but she pee's on the floor before I could get to the backdoor I have 2 seconds to leave my room, walk to the door, open laundry room door, open back door, and put her on her cable before she pee's and it's not possible to do it that fast. She always pees before I have time to get to the door to let her out. I just don't understand why she is so hard to house train. I've done everything recommended on this page and by the vet but nothing seems to be working.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is she small enough that you can pick her up to take her outside?

Also if she's peeing that much, you're probably going to want to up the frequency that she goes out. How long between potty breaks?

·
Registered
347 Posts
usually its every 2-3 hours. She is currently 15 pounds, but she is going to probably end up being over 20
I'm not saying to carry her out forever, just until she's house trained. If you can lift her without too much effort I would do that to start. It's not a permanent fix but will help in the short term.

Have you tried journaling her day to see if that helps you isolate the issue? Can you take a day and from the time you wake up till bed keep a log of what's happening with Bella? Be specific, check in with her every 30mins. After 1 day of this, post on here and maybe something there will help us figure something out. I would keep up the log for a week or 2, see if any patterns come up. Might be something you don't even realize.

From your previous posts you mentioned that she's not very comfortable with being outside. I can only imagine this plays a large part in her potty issues, have you made any progress with that?

Have you tried setting her up with an indoor potty area as an intermediate step? Not something that I would normally suggest when there is easy access to the outdoors but in this case I think it might be super helpful. If not for nothing other than giving Bella a place to go that isn't your carpet or bed.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She will run outside on her own to pee and poop, but she wants in the moment she is done. She knows to go outside to potty because she will run to the door every morning but she usually pee's before I get to the door, and she will potty the moment she gets outside so she knows outside is for potty. She does good going outside for potty I just can't have her outside for longer then just potty she has always hated the outside and I have made no progress getting her to like the outside. I have tried treats but when we are outside she ignores them and continues pulling for the house. I know she knows to potty outside because she refuses to come inside until she pees and poops.

·
Registered
347 Posts
She will run outside on her own to pee and poop, but she wants in the moment she is done. She knows to go outside to potty because she will run to the door every morning but she usually pee's before I get to the door, and she will potty the moment she gets outside so she knows outside is for potty. She does good going outside for potty I just can't have her outside for longer then just potty she has always hated the outside and I have made no progress getting her to like the outside. I have tried treats but when we are outside she ignores them and continues pulling for the house. I know she knows to potty outside because she refuses to come inside until she pees and poops.
Ok, so that's a start. Like I said if you can carry her outside, especially in the morning than do it. If not then I would put a leash on her in the house and hurry her out of the house, keep moving so she doesn't have time to stop and pee. You might also want to open the doors along the way to the outside prior to letting her out of her crate or your room or where ever it is that you keep her.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If she knows to go to the bathroom outside, she really shouldn't be going that much indoors. It's possible she's just gotta go and cannot hold it. In that case, she needs to go out more frequently - get her out before she's totally aware she needs to get out the door. She's a little old, but it's still possible she's not aware she needs to go until it's too late. OR she's preoccupied by something and isn't paying attention to her bodily signals. You may need to micromanage a bit.

In the mornings I'd definitely carry her out. After so long without a break it's not surprising she can't quite hold it.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she has been doing fine holding it until we get outside in the mornings the past few days she has peed the moment I opened my bedroom door. she can't wait a few extra seconds for me to open the back door

·
Registered
347 Posts
she has been doing fine holding it until we get outside in the mornings the past few days she has peed the moment I opened my bedroom door. she can't wait a few extra seconds for me to open the back door
Again, then carry her out. She very clearly cannot wait until she's outside so don't give her the chance to make a mistake.

There is no point in trying to figure out why she did this thing perfect one day and now not so much. Maybe you take her out 5 minutes earlier than the night before, maybe she drank more water than normal, maybe she dreamt of waterfalls. Could be one of a million things. She's a puppy, everything changes on a day to day basis. If it happens 1 time I can see how you would brush if off, 2 days or times in a row and you need to make adjustments. You can't allow her to keep peeing in the house if you ever expect her to consistently go outside, this means that sometimes you have to change things up and try new approaches in order to keep accidents from happening. Continue to be diligent about praising Bella when she goes outside, but an equal part to the potty training equation is not giving the pup a chance to go anywhere that you deem improper.

Just do everything you can to keep her from peeing inside. I know it sounds much easier than it is. But whether it's picking her up before going outside, taking her out every 30 mins, setting an alarm to let her out in the middle of the night, restricting water after a certain time in the evening, limiting her movement to 1 room, following her around constantly and taking her outside everytime she makes even the slightest move to pee in the house, you need to do it or this problem is never going to go away. The work you put in now is going to pay off in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with everyone who said to carry her outside. That should hopefully prevent her peeing right away.

I also understand your frustrations I got my puppy from a rescue at 12 weeks and unfortunately her foster home was letting her pee in the house... So it was and still is a lot of work to house train her. She is almost 100% but it has taken a lot of work.

I would also suggest possibly rationing her water at night. I ration my dogs water after 6. She still gets water but isn't drinking a ton. That has really helped with having to go at night and right away in the morning.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I don't claim to have the perfect solution for every dog, but I can tell you what worked for us. We took Samantha out every 30 minutes, during the day. When she did anything, pee or poop, she got a treat. Until we could trust her, at night she was in her crate, which she hated. It didn't take long for her to figure out, that going out and peeing was a virtual key to the pantry, and she really worked that. In short order she was completely house trained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can pass more quality time with your dog cause it takes a good amount of time to teach him properly. You are used to work in a quiet environment and need to maintain it. If the owner has a problem in speaking clearly or he has disability in this regard. Dog training hand signals cost you less energy and time.

It is better to begin with the sign language as soon as you adopt him. A dog below 6 months comes out as the best learner because he can easily fend off the bad practices. At this age, the pet will follow you around out of curiosity with perfect enthusiasm to learn something new.
Hope it will help you more about dog training. https://dogsculture.com/dog-training-hand-signals/

·
Registered
522 Posts
2-3 hours is fine for a housebroken dog... not so much for a puppy that you're trying to housebreak!

I took mine out every 30 minutes tops, and every time she woke up from a nap and after eating. Also watched her like a hawk and took her out when she started sniffing around. She was in the crate at night too. House broken at 4 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts