Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so lame asking this question, but I enter each weekend wondering exactly how we're going to spend it that will be good for both the pup and me. I live in a nice neighborhood where people have dogs, but I don't know many of them yet, and so far, no one I have met has been at all interested in their dog and my pup spending any time together.

So I have an x-pen, a crate, a back porch that's in full sun for most of the afternoon, and a tiny yard also without much shade. And here come the really hot days of summer.

Mornings are easy - we're out on the back porch and taking walks around the neighborhood. Right now he's having his noon nap.

Then what?! I seriously feel like an idiot, but he gets whiney and bored, and I start to think back to the days when my son was 2 years old and I had no clue how to survive a weekend :D Cobber works on training, he plays with toys, he loves the red dot, etc. But all of that lasts only awhile, then I run out of ideas.

There are parks, but the ones with water are full of families/kids and not good for me to take the puppy to. My various friends have old dogs that don't deal well with a puppy. Plus, Cobber hasn't had his last parvo/distemper shot yet (that's next week), so there's still a matter of being careful where we go.

This is when I feel like jumping ahead in time to where I have a full-grown companion dog that will hang with me on the couch and is happy with walks and playing fetch. I know, it'll happen, just not for awhile yet. :rolleyes:

And I'm also looking at the 4-day holiday weekend coming up with even less of a clue how to get through it.

Ideas and suggestions all welcome!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
A few things that might help are puzzle toys, a stuffed kong, a small kiddie's wading pool. Mental stimulation can tire them out too, I know he is still young but just practicing leash walking in the yard, with a sit every few steps, or changing directions quickly to make it a game. If he likes to chew, maybe an antler would keep him busy. Gentle play with a flirt pole. Sometimes the simplest things work. Just have fun and try not to over-think it!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
:thumbsup: to all the above, with the addition of getting (or googling) a bunch of tricks and try teaching him a new trick every day. Make it fun and educational!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Like I said, it seems like such a lame problem to have, but this past weekend.... I think he was still tired from daycare during the week so that Saturday went just fine. But Sunday... lordy, nothing would wear him out. We went to the park, we went in the water, we walked, we did tricks, we did flirt pole, we did red laser dot, we ran, we tugged, etc etc etc. And he was still sooo full of energy and not interested in settling down once. :) And the breeder told me he was the "mellow one" in the litter -- I hate to think how the other pups from that litter are behaving these days ;)

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Invest in all sorts of food dispensing toys (feed his meals in them) and work on capturing calmness (important with high energy dogs if you want/need them to have an off switch). ;)

For things to do/places to go, look around at all of the upcoming events in the area!:)

The next really big ones are the Festival of the Arts (Penn State) and People's Choice (Boalsburg). Both are July 11-14. You could head over in the mornings/evenings (when its cooler - can get incredibly hot midday) just for a chance at some socialization. I've taken a dog with me to People's Choice for several years in a row. It's been really quite dog friendly. Not a ton of shade, but you can sit under either music tent. And there are trees around the outside edges of the field.

And if you don't mind driving, my kennel club has a monthly dog walk. All walks are free and open to the public, so you and Cobber are more than welcome to join us! July's walk is in Curwensville. Sept. is in Philipsburg at Cold Stream Dam (much closer to you than the others). Fall and winter months we'll be meeting at Parker Dam. If you want more info then just let me know. I will gladly PM you the info. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next really big ones are the Festival of the Arts (Penn State) and People's Choice (Boalsburg). Both are July 11-14. You could head over in the mornings/evenings (when its cooler - can get incredibly hot midday) just for a chance at some socialization. I've taken a dog with me to People's Choice for several years in a row. It's been really quite dog friendly. Not a ton of shade, but you can sit under either music tent. And there are trees around the outside edges of the field.
Thank you! I think attending those outdoor events with Cobber would be an excellent idea! I usually avoid the big festivals just because of the massive numbers of people who attend. But it would be a good way to offer Cobber something new and interesting. I also contacted my ex about places he and I used to go on his motorcycle where I would see people with their dogs in the water (meaning it was okay, not a "no dogs allowed" place). That was Black Moshanon Park, so I'm going to try going there, too.

Plus, we're coming up on the "free concert series" on Penn State campus in the evenings. I know I've seen dogs at those, and if we stay to the outlying area of Old Main lawn, I don't think Cobber would be a bother to anyone. There's one way to find out :)

I just need to get more creative. In some ways, this really is like being back in the day with a 2-yr-old again, where I have to plan activities and haul our supplies along. I'm just not very good at this sort of thing, having not done it in decades.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
No problem!:)

Black Moshannon is a great idea! I go there from time to time as well.
Do you geocache? If you do, there are several caches there you could find with Cobber.

And if you happen to see me at the art festivals (I would have either Penny or Dash - you can see them under my "dogs" tab to the left) don't be afraid to come over and say hi. Penny probably wouldn't be interested in Cobber (she doesn't even play with my other 3) but Dash is social and would likely gladly greet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.