Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their a way to train a Beagle to stay in her own yard? I have a fenced yard on three sides. Once I let her out to go potty if I don't stay with her and have her tied with a leash she takes off and for the most part won't listen to me at all, she will stop and look at me then just go on her merry way.

I know Beagle are hard because they follow their noise but I was hoping that their is a way I could trust her not to leave if I don't have her tied up all day.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Is their a way to train a Beagle to stay in her own yard? I have a fenced yard on three sides. Once I let her out to go potty if I don't stay with her and have her tied with a leash she takes off and for the most part won't listen to me at all, she will stop and look at me then just go on her merry way.

I know Beagle are hard because they follow their noise but I was hoping that their is a way I could trust her not to leave if I don't have her tied up all day.
in this thread, where you were asking about electric fenses:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/electronic-fences-2073/
there were some suggestions for training recall and things...

you could NOT leave the dog out there without supervision.
is there a reason that you cannot just fense the 4th side? that would be your best/safest way to go;) definitely do not leave the dog tied outside w/o supervision either.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yea this is a repeat post. We mentioned training your dog by first using a leash and once the dog is good at heeling/recall slowly give slack and eventually hopefully get to the point of where you do not have to have the dog leashed...what happened to the other post? Did it go away?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I would also like to say not to tether when there is a fence-A friend of Dave's just found a dog hung on his teather after jumping the fence. JUST DON'T DO IT!!!

Fence the other side. No dog would stay and a beagle will never ignore his nose.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The only reason I leave my Beagle alone in the back yard is because she is getting older and her nose doesn't work to well anymore. As you said they follow their noses through everything, including electric fence lines, in traffic, through your neighbors yard, and everywhere else. The also have a habit of not looking where they are going when on track. Mine even head butted the fence a few times while tracking when she was younger.

My advise: Completely fence in your yard or build a dog run for her when she is alone. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
beagle are very strong scent hounds and it is very risky "trusting" a beagle because if tehre is a cat of a fox that beagle is gone heaven for bid if u live near a main road

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wrote and have saved in my word-pad something like a 3 page wall of text in response to this...but...when I was reviewing it, all I could think of was this:

Untrained animal (or perhaps living room trained):
"Once I let her out to go potty if I don't stay with her and have her tied with a leash she takes off and for the most part won't listen to me at all, she will stop and look at me then just go on her merry way."

Seeking insta-fix. :eyeroll:

Everything anyone needs to know is right there.

Edit: All advice in sum...teach "leave it" (including scents), "give", "come here" and "watch me" to the point where even as background noise she reacts to them as if she were born knowing what they mean. Then stop leaving your dog alone outside in an open yard and always go with her. There, problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts