Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy got spayed yesterday and the vet told us to keep her calm with minimum activity. But I don't want her to get bored because then she sleeps which prevents her from actually sleeping at night when she's supposed to. I try to play with her and give her toys or take her on very short walks but she always gets over excited and jumps which she is specifically not allowed to do. She is also in a cone so she rubs her head on anything trying to take it off. What should I do to give her the activity she needs but not get her too hyper or over exercised? And how am I supposed to keep her awake when she is bored, or should I just let her sleep? Btw she is almost 12 weeks old.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've never bothered about letting my dogs stay awake. Mine was confined to one room and only had short walks on a leash after being spayed. She was 7 months though, it was still rough, but we survived.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can keep her tethered to you on a leash, then she can still play with toys but can’t run around the house. Or set up a dog pen that she can’t jump and keep a bunch of toys and good bones/chews in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When my dog had neuter surgery I bought him some puzzle toys...the kind that sit in one place and the dog figures out how to flip open doors to get a treat. I also did Kongs with plain yogurt frozen inside, or stuffed with spray cheese or peanut butter. Obviously you can't do this constantly but it did work to get him to sit in one place and be focused on something for a while. It also burns off a little energy and they have to be awake, clearly.

I also agree with the suggestion to tether her to you so she can play on a limited basis.

Do you think an inflatable neck pillow, rather than a cone, would work for her? Mine also hated the cone and it was hard for him (and consequently, anyone) to sleep through the night. Our guy is too long and skinny for anything but a cone, but yours might fare better with an inflatable collar. They are a little on the pricey side as compared to a cone but maybe worth it to have around.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Should you let her sleep? She is a very young puppy and her body is doing a lot of growing. She is a baby. Let her sleep when she wants to. And she just had surgery. A spay is a lot harder on a dog than a neuter. You'd want to sleep if you had the same thing done to you. She needs to rest and heal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found puzzle toys and training to be a great help. Even just hiding pieces of kibble under a couple of cups can be fun. When you have a dog on bed rest, mentally tuckering them out is the best way too go. Great way to bond and get a start on some good behaviors :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Teach fun tricks and lessons to keep your dog calm after spaying!

My puppy got spayed yesterday and the vet told us to keep her calm with minimum activity.
How long did your vet say that she has to be calm and have limited activity?

Like @DogFaming said, puppies need lots and lots of sleep! It is what they do as they are growing! I personally would let her sleep as much as her body needs, day or night. If you find that she cannot sleep at night, then you can simply alter her daytime activities.

And I agree with @Garm, doing tricks, lessons and brain games are the best! Tire that lil puppy out mentally and she will zzzzzz peacefully. Try teaching her things that do not require a lot of body movement.

Suggestions to teach:

1) Focus or watch me
2)Touch (dog puts nose on your hand)
3) Touch (dog puts nose to items)
4)Speak (bark)
5)Shhhhh (quiet, no bark)
6) Indoor voice (bark very quietly)
7) Sing (have her mimic your voice tones and volume)
8)Leave it (put food treats on floor and teach her to leave it in exchange for other treats)
9)Shake paw
10)High five
11)Double high five (both paws touch yours)
12) Relax (pay small treats continuously while puppy lays down by you)

My dogs can do all these and tons more. Mental workouts are the best!! Doing trick/lesson training is fun and great for stimulating dog's brain...and tiring them out so they don't get into mischief!

Don't forget to reward all positive behavior with yummy treats and generous praise!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My puppy got spayed yesterday and the vet told us to keep her calm with minimum activity. But I don't want her to get bored because then she sleeps which prevents her from actually sleeping at night when she's supposed to. I try to play with her and give her toys or take her on very short walks but she always gets over excited and jumps which she is specifically not allowed to do. She is also in a cone so she rubs her head on anything trying to take it off. What should I do to give her the activity she needs but not get her too hyper or over exercised? And how am I supposed to keep her awake when she is bored, or should I just let her sleep? Btw she is almost 12 weeks old.

What I did last week after I had my little beagle spayed is nothing different. I let her have the freedom of the whole house, no cone on head, let her outside without staying in a lead. I did take her outside on a lead than removed it. The yard is fenced in.

4 days after spaying the little minx is fine and healing without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts

What I did last week after I had my little beagle spayed is nothing different. I let her have the freedom of the whole house, no cone on head, let her outside without staying in a lead. I did take her outside on a lead than removed it. The yard is fenced in.

4 days after spaying the little minx is fine and healing without any problems.

Here is a latest photograph of her wound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dogs are sometimes referred to as man's best friend because they are kept as domestic pets and are usually loyal and like being around humans. I'm always caring of them and there is an online Pet product store named Zen Dog Zone, It is a very good site and the products are very good, So I am usually using their product.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Spayed at 12 weeks? vets here wouldnt even do it that young.

If you need to keep her happy try brain games or calm training exercises ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts