Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I feel like we are starving this puppy. So she's almost 7 weeks old, been on puppy food for a few weeks (according to owners). We have had her a week and she LOVES to eat. BUT she wants to eat all the time. I am feeding her 3-4 times a day and it's never enough. She sits and begs for food (goes to the food back and sits there and cries or sits at the door where her food is and cries). She scarfs down the food and it's never enough. We are right now giving her 1/4 of a cup 2 times a day and then 1/8 of a cup 2 times a day (those are estimates, sometimes a little more than that).

I hate to just let her try to eat till she's full because I think she'll explode. She's only about 5 pounds right now.

What do you think? (oh and pooping and peeing fine, many many times a day, lol)

Kristy

·
Registered
259 Posts
That is normal all my 1 year old dogs do that. Some puppy's just simply like to indulge in food, I think my dogs could eat a horse... XD!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Okay so I feel like we are starving this puppy. So she's almost 7 weeks old, been on puppy food for a few weeks (according to owners). We have had her a week and she LOVES to eat. BUT she wants to eat all the time. I am feeding her 3-4 times a day and it's never enough. She sits and begs for food (goes to the food back and sits there and cries or sits at the door where her food is and cries). She scarfs down the food and it's never enough. We are right now giving her 1/4 of a cup 2 times a day and then 1/8 of a cup 2 times a day (those are estimates, sometimes a little more than that).

I hate to just let her try to eat till she's full because I think she'll explode. She's only about 5 pounds right now.

What do you think? (oh and pooping and peeing fine, many many times a day, lol)

Kristy
How much does the bag say you should feed? I remember being surprised by how much puppies eat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bag says up to 3/4 of a cup for her size/age (under 3 months). She's 6 pounds and would cry all day if we only gave her 3/4 cup of food I am giving her cooked carrots and green beans but she cries so much for food.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The bag says up to 3/4 of a cup for her size/age (under 3 months). She's 6 pounds and would cry all day if we only gave her 3/4 cup of food I am giving her cooked carrots and green beans but she cries so much for food.
Which breed and food?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Please provide Full Dish to your puppy dont let them be hungry every time. Make him eat full Doo foods, and maintain proper diet to eat healthy food every day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Has she been dewormed yet? If the nutrition goes to the worms inside her guts then yes, she is starving!

Portion out her daily allowance, and distribute that over 3-4 meals during the day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is just what crossed my mind, so take it with that in mind. To me 7 weeks seems like she was taken from mommy's milk quite a bit young. To me eating dog food for several weeks already seems way too early. Maybe she isn't so much hungry as she is looking for the closeness she would have gotten from suckling her mom. I would suggest feeding her what the dog food bag says, but try cuddling her when she cries for food other times. Humans use food emotionally; maybe she is too.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Work with your Vet, make sure she is gaining weight at an appropriate rate, and that she does not have parasites. You do not want to overfeed her, and excess weight is not good for them. You adjust food quantities based, not so much on what the bag says, but based on your individual dogs needs. The bag recommendations are only a general guide. Every dog, just like every person, has a different metabolism rate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts