Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Mali's food allergies have finally driven me to purchase the Orijen fish formula, and she is doing amazing on it. ]
She has been on the food for about a month now (switched cold turkey) and suddenly she started eating grass. :confused: She has never eaten grass before, and now she suddenly grazes like a cow. Seriously, she stands there and will try to grab bushels of it! :ponder:
This may be completely unrelated to the food, but it's strange that this started happening right after we switched her over to Orijen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dogs are omnivores, so you shouldn't worry about it too much. They eat grass to clean their stomach..
But this is what I found on a website about a sudden increase:

"So, when you think about it, grass munching isn’t that bad at all. However, watch out for a sudden increase in grass eating; it could be a sign of a more serious underlying illness that your dog is trying to self treat, and that requires immediate veterinary assistance."

Hope it helps!!
Love x

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dogs are carnivores but some will eat grass when they have an upset stomach. Some just seem to like it too, but they do not have the GI system to digest and utilize it, so it just passes through them. Or they will puke it back up. Shorty only eats grass when his stomach is upset, Vegas will graze on select blades now and then. Nevada use to eat grass, but she only started doing that after she watched a gosling graze. She seemed to really like it, but it would just pass through her. Your dog could have a minor upset with the sudden change or she could have just found out he likes grass.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had this issue with Bandit recently. I had attributed it with his recent switch to a raw diet. But from the advice I was given it was mostly because it was springtime and the grass tasted good. I believe that was the case because when I moved recently somewhere where the grass is less healthy he seemed totally disinterested and stopped grazing. So IME it could be because of the time of year if you live somewhere that spring is kicking into gear.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If you notice the type of grass it is usually the tall thin spring grass that they eat for pleasure. The type that is in most yards they eat to purge along with dandelion greens. My dogs eat grass all the time but do not throw it up. I call it doggie salad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dogs have always eaten grass. A vet told me once that we may never really know why they do it. Sometimes mine eat it when their tummy is upset, sometimes they just eat grass. I HAVE noticed, tho, that they do less grazing when they eat better food. For example, when I fed Pedigree, they grazed like cows. (Sound familiar?) When I switched to 4Health, their grazing depended on whether or not I got a good bag of food. When I started feeding VeRus, they almost completely stopped eating grass. They still stop and check out a patch on occasion but it's more like they're cataloging the location for future use - in case of emergency (LOL).
The VeRus people are really good about helping you decide what formula is best for your dog. They have a contact form and will send you really nice samples. And the food smells FRESH. Verus Pet Foods - Home
Good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dogs are carnivores but some will eat grass when they have an upset stomach. Some just seem to like it too, but they do not have the GI system to digest and utilize it, so it just passes through them. Or they will puke it back up. Shorty only eats grass when his stomach is upset, Vegas will graze on select blades now and then. Nevada use to eat grass, but she only started doing that after she watched a gosling graze. She seemed to really like it, but it would just pass through her. Your dog could have a minor upset with the sudden change or she could have just found out he likes grass.
I agree with @annageckos, your dog may be eating grass to help with stomach upset from switching foods. It happens with dogs when they become used to one food and then are suddenly switched to another. It doesn't necessarily mean the food is not working for your dog, but could just be indicating that your dog is not fully taking to the food as of yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts