Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, a 16 year old chihuahua, started drinking a lot of water and going to the bathroom 10 times a night. Then his eyes became cloudy with cataract, so took him to the vet. He has now been diagnosed with diabetes and will require insulin twice a day for the rest of his life.

The problem is that although my dog is sweet and funny, when he knows something will hurt he becomes vicious and starts biting. For example when I try to trim his nails, he starts screaming and biting so much that neighbors think we are torturing him so I have never been able to do it. Knowing this, each insulin shot will most likely elicit the same response, except it could kill him if I'm unable to administer the insulin.

So knowing this I am having second thoughts about saving him even though I'm already out $1000 in vet bills as he's currently receiving insulin treatment at the vet hospital.

Even though I'm already out a lot of money would putting him to sleep the most humane thing to do still knowing how difficult it'll be? I mean I love him and want him to stay with me for as long as possible but it's gotta be torture for him having to deal with this as it will be for me as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
You would be suprised at how easy it is to give these injections. Its a tiny fine needle which dog prob. Wont feel as its only injected under skin as a subcutaneous injection. If you pair it with a piece of cheese hell soon be wanting it to happen. If you feel you cannot do this - and there are humans who cant inject themselves let alone their dog. Then yes. PTS knowing your dog had a lovely life with you to the end. I can respect that decision. 16yrs is a full life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
I had a feral cat that became very sick from diabetes and I had to lock him in the bathroom and isolate him for weeks to tame him to give him his twice daily insulin shots and all his other liquid meds.
The insulin shots were the easiest! He barely felt it. You can rub their scruff to distract them or give them a treat while injecting. Much easier than cutting nails on cats or dogs. I've never been able to cut any of my large dogs nails they either freaked out from anxiety or got dangerous and aggressive. And eighty plus pound dog's getting aggressive can be scary as can truly feral adult cars like mine was. He became tame and very loving. I eventually was able to give him eight or more injections a day at the end of his life when he got advanced cancer.

I actually request subcutaneous medications for all my car's now because it's so much easier than fighting with them and I know they get the full correct dose instead of spitting jt all over me and everywhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
If he is not in pain and has a reasonable quality of life, if it were me, I would do the insulin injections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
I have a 14 year old Chihuahua, Tucker. We could never clip his nails, bathe him or administer any type of medication. He is fine with the groomer doing his monthly bath, nail clip and anal expression, though. We cannot even put a collar on him. He turns into a little crazed maniac if you try to do anything to him other than hold him. I would never put Tucker through insulin shots at age 16. He would be terrified.

I said all of this just to let you know that I understand what you are saying about your sweet pup. I love Tucker with all of my heart, but living with terror and stress for the rest of his life is not something I could put him through.

However, this is an individual decision and I would not judge you to be uncaring or inhumane with whatever choice you make. This is a very difficult position to be in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I agree with all the replies. Use treats to distract him. If the injection shots don't hurt and from the replies, it doesn't sound like it will hurt. If, for some reason, your dog still objects, even though there are treats offered to him, I would look into gloves that dog trainers (for guard dogs) use or something like that. I am talking about the material it's made of, not necessarily the same gloves.

I would keep looking for a solution if your dog is not in pain (so I have the same advice others have) or not suffering. I cannot do my dog's nails either. I'm one of few people who she allows to touch her paws and nails but when she knows her nails are getting trimmed, she pulls away and I'm not good at dealing with that. Even groomers and vets can't easily touch her, they need assistants or to restrain her in some way - muzzle etc. I have tried to help and we have done the treat distraction method but she will still try to get at the person trying to trim the nails.

You're not the only one with trouble, as you can see. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
I used oven mitts at first to hold and give my feral cat his other meds twice a day but they were too bulky for the tiny insulin needles. Even at his sickest and most fierce he never flinched or minded the shots and I wasn't allowed to give him treats because his blood sugar was too unstable.
The other cats since then I've given shots too are also all fine for that, yet are absolute demons to cut nails or give regular liquid meds or pills too. One bites and fights and is twelve pounds and very strong. But is fine for a quick injection.

Sometimes diabetes can be managed by only feeding a diabetic diet, you can ask your vet.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top