Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some guard dogs for a ranch property that has been having issues with night time break ins. Looking for advice on the ideal dogs or dog to patrol the property and bark/alert if an intruder shows up, ideally stand up to an intruder if they were to jump the fence.

The property is 5 acres fully fenced, with a day time shaded kennel to keep the dogs when workers are around. The property is staffed 365 days a year from 7am to 7pm. Game plan is last employee at end of day opens dogs day time kennel to let them patrol the ranch, then in am first employee puts them in day time kennel.

Owners and employees are dog people, Dogs won’t be neglected at all, so let’s not go that direction. Day time kennel is to protect dogs from vehicle traffic and so dogs aren’t exposed to more random people then needed.

Looking For advice on breed, number of dogs etc. would like a dog Or dogs that will Naturally patrol and alert, and maybe a dog that would bite an intruder who jumped the fence. Don’t really want serious liability dogs that will attack workers who let them in and out of kennel. Lot to ask I know. Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
1,832 Posts
It is a lot to ask, a dog that can recognise a worker versus an intruder is very hard to find. I'm in the uk so there are some cultural differences but if you were here, I'd be recommending a good security system, not a dog(s).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand. Plan is to have a person who is familiar with the dog kennel and let out of kennel when the property is vacant.
Not set on a vicious barking dog, more thinking a couple dogs, maybe one then is semi tough and one that is very alert and will patrol.
Security system won’t work, it’s fenced but there is wildlife.
Please keep the thoughts coming.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well any dog can be a deterrent and even the toughest looking dog if not trained can be useless..
these clips are hilarious but show that pets dogs dont make good guard dogs.

I agree that a good security system can be looking in many more places at one time than even the most brilliant dog but..

My dad worked with GSD's as a security guard he found their level of loyalty to the owner and their intelligence made them great dogs to work with. He could send the dog ahead if there was an intruder and have the dog search a room so that he knew it was safe to enter. GSD's are good dogs to handle, strong and athletic dogs with good stamina... or should I say were, the poor lame examples I see now would never have made the grade as security dogs back then.

But they were happy to live in kennels worked well with different handelers and were fairly easy to train.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I like German Shepard’s. I guess what is tripping me up is a dog that will patrol and alert when a handler isn’t present at night. Don’t really need a dog to bite anyone. Just barking will be deferent enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LGD seem like they would work. Thinking I’m probably forgetting about some other breeds that would perform well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts