Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the idea stage of starting a kennel. I won't go into details of our plan so far, but what are some things i need to do for this? (besides the obvious things like a building and money!)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
only thing I can say is don't skimp on pest control! bugs me to no end to take my dog somewhere and come home with a few extra critters.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Do a lot of research as far as market comparison in your area, and have a competitive advantage over them. :)

Not sure what type of kennel you're starting, but I chose a boarding/daycare facility based on their policy (how they handled the dogs) and didn't mind that I paid a bit more for it. It was a great place, and got most of their business from referrals. They basically had a flat rate, took the dogs out often, did temperament testing, and kept the play groups small. The facility was also beautiful and had grass and little pools. I never saw a nicer facility or saw a better way to handle dogs. Add-on pricing is irritating for things like extra play time or treats (but I'm also willing to splurge on my dog if I can't be with her).

If you're planning another type of kennel, I can't give any advice. :p

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Building set up plays a major role on sanitation and animal safety. I have worked at many kennels and some where simply awful for the dogs...Drains in the wrong places so dogs got wet during clean up...total indoor runs with no draining system..One place was real nice..had a drain system on the inside and outside..of course it was all concrete..Another was nice had a small drain in the corner of each run inside and had white stone for the outside runs...The chlorine filter attachments for the hose are great for sanitation. Attaches at the main on the wall..just open to add chlorine tabs...

I will stop there I could go on and on...LOL

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it would be half a boarding kennel, half would be somewhat permanent resident dogs....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If I'm kenneling my dog, I want to know she'll get tired out at least once a day. And 15 minute "walks" don't count. If you had a kennel where you could pay extra for someone to run with a dog at least 5 miles each day, that would be perfect for my high-energy pup who gets overwhelmed in dog daycare environments. Of course, I won't kennel my dog unless it's an emergency because I haven't seen one that will tire out a socially awkward dog, so I may not be the best person to ask.

And yes, clean areas, space to move and dog-smart (not just dog-loving) employees are a must.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know kennel setup is important (i worked at a vet were they had a few runs in the back for boarders but the space in front of the kennels was too narrow. It was about 2 1/2 feet between a wall and the kennel doors. NOT enough room when you're trying to walk a boxer who wants to kill every other dog past all the other kennels.

If I'm kenneling my dog, I want to know she'll get tired out at least once a day. And 15 minute "walks" don't count. If you had a kennel where you could pay extra for someone to run with a dog at least 5 miles each day, that would be perfect for my high-energy pup who gets overwhelmed in dog daycare environments. Of course, I won't kennel my dog unless it's an emergency because I haven't seen one that will tire out a socially awkward dog, so I may not be the best person to ask.

And yes, clean areas, space to move and dog-smart (not just dog-loving) employees are a must.
thanks, that does help.

i'm hoping to have secure play areas (an indoor and outdoor) to play with dogs, not just rely on walks for exercise. I would be at the kennel 24/7 and would definitely be doing my best to keep every one tired and happy(because if they are tired they will sleep and not bark constantly!).

·
Banned
711 Posts
it would be half a boarding kennel, half would be somewhat permanent resident dogs....
What do you mean by "permanent resident dogs?" A kennel run is no place for a dog to be living.

I don't even like the idea of kennel runs at all, really. I only have and only ever would board my pets where they are being kept in someone's home.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Some dogs can't be boarded in homes. I have a few aggressive dogs, and really have no place to board except the vet clinic due to liability. Having people trained to handle dogs lime this would be helpful. Also completely secured kennels, as some dogs climb or chew out of chain link. So having a few runs with tops, and welded wire or stout panels may be beneficial.
Offering separate outdoor areas, where there isn't group play may be beneficial as well if possible. I always just have someone care for the dogs and kennels here, but would be nice to have a reliable place to take them when needed.
I had a tornado hit here a while back, that took out my fences and my home for two weeks, and keeping the dogs at the vet clinic for that long was horrible.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I have to leave my dog's at Kennels when going on Holiday etc it really can be distressing for myself and the dogs, me mainly.

I have been to some kennels and haven't been sure about the owners, and have decided to look at others. Leaving your dog with a stranger for any amount of time you want them to be a warm and likable person.

So my advice would be to remeber that for many a Dog is a family member the owner wants to be sure that their dog will be well cared for, if you do this by being honest , personable, likeable you will get more repeat custom.

All the best

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean by "permanent resident dogs?" A kennel run is no place for a dog to be living.

I don't even like the idea of kennel runs at all, really. I only have and only ever would board my pets where they are being kept in someone's home.
A kennel run isn't a good place for a dog to live, but i didn't mean their whole lives. They would be available for adoption, they would be in the kennels until they find homes. But i said somewhat permanent resident dogs because being large senior dogs, they may not be placed right away. I'm sure some will live out their lives there, but we are starting the kennel for them and will make their lives the best we can. They are the priority, the boarding part is just to help cover the costs of running the kennel.

I may offer boarding for 1 - 2 dogs in my home, if they fit in. (meaning large female, or small male with no issues towards large male dogs or small female dogs.)

The play areas would be for one on one play with an employee, not for group play. Maybe in the future we'll consider adding play groups for boarders.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would not mix boarding and rescue. i wouldnt board my dogs anywhere they were doing rescue due to the health risks.
it's not technically rescue. They are retired service dogs. And i would like 2 buildings, one for the boarders, one for the others. If i can't have 2 buildings, there will be a separation somehow.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i dont know what specific kind of service dogs youre talking about, but many of them are not put in shelters. for example, guide dogs of america keeps those dogs until they are adopted, and the wait for an adoption of a retired guide dog is 6yrs. many of the retired service dogs are not going to do well in a kennel situation like that.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's for the SAR dogs i'm involved with. I know they shouldn't live in kennels but the reason they'd come to us is because their handler doesn't want them when they retire the dog. We will adopt them out, maybe even find foster homes.

Does that make sense? i think people are getting the wrong idea about what i'm trying to start. :/

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
At the very least, this forum can help you with advertising! Better to learn here and among friends that what we think we say is not what people hear rather than spending lots of money on a company name and ads and then learning that no one will show up because they don't understand what we're doing or have the wrong idea :) Perhaps working on a clear-cut mission statement / descriptive paragraph would help you get the feedback you're looking for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts