Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 yr old dog has been developing a staphyloma on the top white portion of his eye for the past year that’s been slowly growing. I am gathering up the money for a visit to an eye doctor my vet referenced me to and see what can be done?

I came to this website to see if anyone had any answers on what kind of treatment, if any, and what kind of prognosis for long-term eye damage my dog can face?

I wish I had the money. It’s tough to even save $250 for vet visit with testing. Seems it’s not common to find vets that work with dogs eyes.

Had anyone’s dog had this? Please share any information you may have?

There’s not much on the Internet regarding this .

For those who may not know; A staphyloma is an abnormal protrusion of the uveal tissue through a weak point in the eyeball. The protrusion is generally black in colour, due to the inner layers of the eye. It occurs due to weakening of outer layer of eye (cornea or sclera) by an inflammatory or degenerative condition.

Thank you kindly for any answers I might receive ahead of time. I truly appreciate it and the time you take to tell me about your story or what you know about this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So after eye dr visit I learned it is a Limbal melanoma on his eye.

Limbal melanomas are benign, slowly growing tumors of limbal melanocytic origin. These tumors typically occur along the dorsomedial to ventrolateral limbal arc of the globe at the corneal and scleral junction.

We aren’t sure if it’s benign or malignant. There is no pressure on the eye at the moment or pain but eventually this will grow and will distort his vision along with eventually blind his eye.

Leaving it we run the risk that if it is benign it can and eventually will become malignant and spread to other parts of his body. Therefore complete eye removal is the only course of action.

I don’t have the money right now and this is going to be tough for us to figure out how to cone up with $2300 when I’m in credit counseling and it took me a year just to get $200 saved up I could spare to bring him to the eye doctor. I was hoping for some other news but not this.

I thought I’d come back to share my discovery as it may help someone else understand what their dog is going through.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Oh my, I'm so sorry that the only course of treatment is removal of his eye. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Is there any organizations that will help you get the treatment? I know here the humane society has a program that helps cover the cost of such treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts