Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking at different dog breeds, and we have decided we will be getting a golden or poodle! Low-shedding would be nice, but I think I can tolerate some fur. And as long as I stay on top of brushing the loose fur should be minimal, right?

I have time to groom, but my husband is against poodles purely because of the neurotic poodle stereotypes... And he hates the typical poodle cut (not just the show ring clips, lamb clips and such too) because he says they look like old ladies with perms?

I want to show him they don't have to look like that but every time I try to look up unclipped poodles I get photos of goldendoodles. :ponder:

Anyone have a poodle with a less shaped cut? I hear you can do just about anything with poodle hair.

Some other questions for standard poodle owners-

How good would you say they are with energetic little kids?

I keep hearing they can be aggressive and anxious?

How cuddly are they usually?

I'd also like to know what you all think would be better for a big family with two little kids. (Who are loud and rambunctious)
I also have a teenage daughter that wants to get involved in obedience, rally-o, and maybe agility or flyball.

Not sure which is the best fit. Honestly i'm a sucker for poodles but everyone says how great goldens are for families...

:confused: please help! I have never owned either of these dogs and all I know about them purely from my research. lol any advice is appreciated. I have no experience with either of these breeds, but I have owned several dogs before.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I have a friend with a standard Poodle and he's an awesome dog. Great with everyone, up for anything, and incredibly intelligent - I think a Poodle would be a great dog for your daughter to start activities with.

You really can do a lot with their coat, and honestly, I think standard Poodles are more attractive than the smaller ones coat-wise.

Honestly, Poodles and Goldens are both great family dogs and IMO aren't drastically different from each other temperament-wise. Goldens shed a LOT though, so if you have any problems with fur, I really would lean toward the Poodle.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
google the teddy bear cut they dont shave the snout, it´s usually done on toy poodles but it can just as easily be done on standards.

There isnt a major difference between the breeds beside shedding. However both have been prey to popularity leading to mass bad breeding. The neurotic stereotype can be true if temperament is not bred well. Honestly there have been similar stories around the goldens, over breeding has led to reports of aggression.

Either way be careful with the breeder if you want to go down that route. Check breed specific rescues too though, if they foster they should have a good idea about the dogs temperament.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend with a standard Poodle and he's an awesome dog. Great with everyone, up for anything, and incredibly intelligent - I think a Poodle would be a great dog for your daughter to start activities with.

You really can do a lot with their coat, and honestly, I think standard Poodles are more attractive than the smaller ones coat-wise.

Honestly, Poodles and Goldens are both great family dogs and IMO aren't drastically different from each other temperament-wise. Goldens shed a LOT though, so if you have any problems with fur, I really would lean toward the Poodle.
Poodle is sounding like the best of the two for my family, and i'll admit the idea of fur on my clothes makes me cringe a little.

Im worried that if I get a poodle it will be too hyperactive. One of my neighbors has a poodle... They also have a little boy I was watching for them, and the dog tackled him to the ground because he was running, then started humping him... I don't know how late they got him neutered or how they've been training him but the dog is an absolute wreck. Any idea why their poodle acts this way? I just keeping hearing descriptions of the breed that are totally different from her poodle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
google the teddy bear cut they dont shave the snout, it´s usually done on toy poodles but it can just as easily be done on standards.

There isnt a major difference between the breeds beside shedding. However both have been prey to popularity leading to mass bad breeding. The neurotic stereotype can be true if temperament is not bred well. Honestly there have been similar stories around the goldens, over breeding has led to reports of aggression.

Either way be careful with the breeder if you want to go down that route. Check breed specific rescues too though, if they foster they should have a good idea about the dogs temperament.
I looked up the teddy bear cut- I think it's adorable! You're right though all the picture i'm seeing are of smaller poodles. Also am I imagining things or do poodles have different coat types? I swear some have significantly tighter curls than others who have looser, almost beachy waves.

I have looked into rescues, but i'm concerned dogs from rescues could end up with health issues. As far as I know, rescue dogs aren't usually from breeders that genuinely care about their dogs and spend time making sure their dogs are healthy. I would be most comfortable with buying from a reputable breeder, but finding one is a challenge...

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I looked up the teddy bear cut- I think it's adorable! You're right though all the picture i'm seeing are of smaller poodles. Also am I imagining things or do poodles have different coat types? I swear some have significantly tighter curls than others who have looser, almost beachy waves.

I have looked into rescues, but i'm concerned dogs from rescues could end up with health issues. As far as I know, rescue dogs aren't usually from breeders that genuinely care about their dogs and spend time making sure their dogs are healthy. I would be most comfortable with buying from a reputable breeder, but finding one is a challenge...
reputable breeders will breed for tighter curls. It´s a lottery really, you could rescue and get a dog that lives til 15 and get a breeder dog who dies at 3. A reputable breeder can put the odds in your favour but genetics are complicated and its never a guarantee. I would rather rescue than go to a sub par breeder though.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Poodle is sounding like the best of the two for my family, and i'll admit the idea of fur on my clothes makes me cringe a little.

Im worried that if I get a poodle it will be too hyperactive. One of my neighbors has a poodle... They also have a little boy I was watching for them, and the dog tackled him to the ground because he was running, then started humping him... I don't know how late they got him neutered or how they've been training him but the dog is an absolute wreck. Any idea why their poodle acts this way? I just keeping hearing descriptions of the breed that are totally different from her poodle.
Humping's not a breed specific behavior- lots of variables that can cause it. That sounds like a young dog with no training. IME poodles and goldens have similar energy levels and they're both big dogs so if you let your dog run around crazy this is something that could happen with either breed. They both tend to mellow out once they get older though. Train your dog, reinforce the behavior you want, and set rules the dog understands.

I've personally had better experiences with poodles than goldens (probably a personal bias because one of my dogs is a poodle mix). As spotsonofbun said both have been overbred and so I've met dogs of both breeds with temperament and health issues. Badly bred goldens are crazy (hyper, obsessive, no attention span), badly bred poodles are neurotic and anxious. If you take the time to find a good breeder both breeds make great pets though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reputable breeders will breed for tighter curls. It´s a lottery really, you could and get a dog that lives til 15 and get a breeder dog who dies at 3. A reputable breeder can put the odds in your favour but genetics are complicated and its never a guarantee. I would rather rescue than go to a sub par breeder though.
True.. I will look around at rescues too. Unfortunately I have noticed they usually have toys or minis, but maybe there is a standard in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've owned several poodle mixes in my life, and have known people with full blood poodles.

The poodle mixes, I had, shed some, but not a lot and it was in clumps that were easy to pick up...unlike some short hair dogs that shed single hairs all over the place.

They do need more grooming maintenance, keeping hair trimmed around their eyes so 'tears' don't get gummed up into the hair, and they need brushed to help prevent mats. Then, if you don't want them looking too unkempt, a trip to the groomers for hair cuts...unless you learn to do it yourself.

They are smart dogs, mine were at least and those who owned full blood ones told me that they thought their dogs were average or smart, but rarely did I hear about a really 'dumb' poodle. None were standard bred - though I suspect the bigger dogs are probably a little bit smarter in some ways than there smaller counterparts. (little dog little brain...use to be a joke of mine about my small poodle...who actually wasn't all that dumb...I just had seen smarter dogs in my life...lol).

I think poodles are also fairly healthy as breeds go...again I had mixes, but none of them had major health issues until well into old age, cataracts and hearing loss...mostly...but all my dogs have had those at a certain point in life.

Anyway.... Golden Retrievers. I own one now...my first. The hair...looks gorgeous, most of the time, just a light brushing, no need for hair cuts, unless one wishes to clip the feathers from their legs and tail. My neighbor has one and does this, but then their dog goes out into rough country on hikes and they got tired of dealing with burrs in the feathers.

But...OMGOSH... When they blow their coats... they Really Blow Their Coats! I can't believe the amount of hair that comes up when this happens...which is about twice a year...although, my dog, HaHa did it 3 times last year. I have a deshedder rake...no razors or anything on it...and my neighbor was watching me rake HaHa one day and asked if if I was cutting the undercoat out somehow. I was like nope...just lightly raking through it. I had piles and piles of hair that I was putting into a plastic shopping bag...and the wind was taking like 1/8 of it away. :p

I heard that goldies are pretty smart dogs. I adopted one that is slightly retarded, so I can't say too much about that part of it. HaHa's problem is mostly that he forgets things super fast...so he's hard to train unless it's a training that I can tell him several times a day to do... like for example "Sit" But if I don't tell him to sit for even a day...the following day he'll more likely not remember anything that he learned...even if he had been being told to 'sit' every day for several months.

I will say that HaHa of all the dogs I have ever owned...has entertained me the most...he's freeken funny. I don't know if it's a breed thing or due to his mental issues...but I've had some very funny dogs in my life and he by far outshines anything I've ever seen. The neighbors tell me from time to time that when HaHa is outside and they are watching him through their breakfast window that he has them in stitches laughing too at the way he plays and spins in circles...big looping jumps that take up most of the yard to complete as he spins.

Anyway. That's my slant on the two breeds. I think the Golden is easier to care for on a weekly basis, but a lot of work when their coats blow. Also.. Golden's have a very very bad reputation for getting cancer and dying at a younger age due to it. So that is something to think about. They can also have knee and hip joint issues...so watching their weight is a must and one still can have problems there.

Best of luck with whatever breed you end up with.

Stormy

·
Registered
438 Posts
So I have been looking at different dog breeds, and we have decided we will be getting a golden or poodle! Low-shedding would be nice, but I think I can tolerate some fur. And as long as I stay on top of brushing the loose fur should be minimal, right?

I have time to groom, but my husband is against poodles purely because of the neurotic poodle stereotypes... And he hates the typical poodle cut (not just the show ring clips, lamb clips and such too) because he says they look like old ladies with perms?

I want to show him they don't have to look like that but every time I try to look up unclipped poodles I get photos of goldendoodles. :ponder:

Anyone have a poodle with a less shaped cut? I hear you can do just about anything with poodle hair.

Some other questions for standard poodle owners-

How good would you say they are with energetic little kids?

I keep hearing they can be aggressive and anxious?

How cuddly are they usually?

I'd also like to know what you all think would be better for a big family with two little kids. (Who are loud and rambunctious)
I also have a teenage daughter that wants to get involved in obedience, rally-o, and maybe agility or flyball.

Not sure which is the best fit. Honestly i'm a sucker for poodles but everyone says how great goldens are for families...

:confused: please help! I have never owned either of these dogs and all I know about them purely from my research. lol any advice is appreciated. I have no experience with either of these breeds, but I have owned several dogs before.

How do you know the unclipped poodles are golden doodles? Lol. When they are unclipped they can look strikingly similar.

I think you can expect a lot of similarity in the temperament of a golden and a standard poodle. I have seen crazy energetic poodles, and crazy energetic goldens as well. As high energy retrievers...they do need daily exercise.

If shedding is important to you I would reconsider a golden. Poodles do require grooming, but think of it this way---either you clip the hair yourself and throw it in the trash every 2-3 months, or you pick it up all around your house every day.

Here are some poodles in different pet friendly clips.

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840619.497700.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840628.616976.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840649.727287.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840660.266098.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840670.022298.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840680.798593.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840691.815482.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840702.820618.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840715.844796.jpg

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1441840728.400189.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
To answer some of your questions, my standard poodle adores kids. She has never met a stranger and everyone that meets her loves her. If a child is running, she seems to be aware that they are a child and will just gently trot behind them. I take her to an elementary school all the time and she sits and lets the kids pet all over her. Even dog haters love her lol. She is 10 months old and has always been this way.

She is extremely quiet, intelligent and trainable. I learned to groom myself and saved tons on grooming.

Cuddly? I swear she's a human. She's extremely people oriented and affectionate.

Here is a video of her cuddling: https://instagram.com/p/6H-XpBkMI0/

And

https://instagram.com/p/6oMI02kMG8/

I hope my next dog is exactly like her...I want her to become a therapy dog soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you know the unclipped poodles are golden doodles? Lol. When they are unclipped they can look strikingly similar.

I think you can expect a lot of similarity in the temperament of a golden and a standard poodle. I have seen crazy energetic poodles, and crazy energetic goldens as well. As high energy retrievers...they do need daily exercise.

If shedding is important to you I would reconsider a golden. Poodles do require grooming, but think of it this way---either you clip the hair yourself and throw it in the trash every 2-3 months, or you pick it up all around your house every day.

Here are some poodles in different pet friendly clips.
What I mean't was I would try to google 'unclipped poodle' and I would see cute haircuts, then click on the picture and it would say in the caption 'goldendoodle'.

Yes, I understand traits vary dog-to-dog. But all poodles I have seen are anxious beyond belief (and super hyper) I have seen so many goldens who are so sweet and silly. I have no doubts that there are some excellent poodles, but it just seems so hard to find a good breeder. Like the people on here have said, I think the overbreeding has made finding a good poodle difficult. But I mean I haven't seen a ton of poodles. But the ones I have are this way.

Honestly at this point i'm kind of not sure what I want to think about the poodle. I hear and see so many different descriptions. I have never even seen a poodle that acts anything like a golden. It just seems like a bit of a gamble. Maybe I should rethink my options? Unless anyone knows a poodle breeder in new england that genuinely cares about the breed.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I guess it just depends on where you live. All the Poodles I've met are absolutely wonderful. Sweet, relaxed when meeting people, but happy to romp in the dog park. More and more Goldens I'm meeting are standoffish, not super friendly, and 3 of the last 5 I've met have already had terrible hips at around 4 years old.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I would go to the breed club's website, compile a list of breeders, and just start talking to them. You won't know until you actually meet the and their dogs - and it won't hurt to see, even if you decide to go the other route.

Check out events in your area as well. Go to dog shows or even dog sport competitions, and scope out the dogs. That's a good way to meet breeders and get a feel for the breed as well.

I think some Poodles can be neurotic, but I've mostly seen it in toys and minis, since they're usually the ones that are overbred.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
What I mean't was I would try to google 'unclipped poodle' and I would see cute haircuts, then click on the picture and it would say in the caption 'goldendoodle'.

Yes, I understand traits vary dog-to-dog. But all poodles I have seen are anxious beyond belief (and super hyper) I have seen so many goldens who are so sweet and silly. I have no doubts that there are some excellent poodles, but it just seems so hard to find a good breeder. Like the people on here have said, I think the overbreeding has made finding a good poodle difficult. But I mean I haven't seen a ton of poodles. But the ones I have are this way.

Honestly at this point i'm kind of not sure what I want to think about the poodle. I hear and see so many different descriptions. I have never even seen a poodle that acts anything like a golden. It just seems like a bit of a gamble. Maybe I should rethink my options? Unless anyone knows a poodle breeder in new england that genuinely cares about the breed.
It's so hard with these breeds who have been so overbred to get a good feeling as to what they are like. I remember a member here, a trainer, complaining a lot over the overhyper goldens in their classes. There have been reports of aggrassiveness in goldens, a huge temperament bordering on health fault directly traced to bad breeding.

Likewise when I told my family that I wanted a poodle, a toy none the less who have been even more badly bred and raised, they asked me why I wanted such an aggressive dog :ponder:

Aggessivenees, neutoric, anxiousness, these are not traits that should be present in either breed but have unfortunately appeared.

I really want a toy poodle but if I can't find a good breeder or a breeder with the kind of dogs I want (temperament) then I will get a paillon or a maltese. There isn't that much of a difference between these breeds. They will all fit my lifestyle, the most important difference is going to be in the individual. A part of that is luck the other part is breeding and/or selection.

I would start looking around your area for golden and poodle breeders. See whether there are any dog shows where you can meet a good example of the breeds and meet breeders face to face.

I don't think you need to narrow it down to one, considering two breeds is fine especially since they are rather similar.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How many standard poodles have you met? I will be impressed if you tell me you've met more than 10. If you've met 10 standard poodles....then that's still not enough.
I have met hundreds.
Why don't you join poodleforum.com? I'm very active there. You'd get much better answers than this forum and WAY more information about breeders.

To be honest, every lab or golden in my area is under exercised, pulls their owner thoughout the whole walk, jumps on everyone they meet and are for lack of better words "crazy". But I know darn well that these labs/goldens do not represent their breed...I just live in an area with LOTS of labs and goldens and people don't exactly take care of them! Lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Poodles excel in just about every activity a dog can do...they make excellent therapy and service dogs. As good breeders go, I did not get my dog from a "good" breeder at least as poodleforum standards go lol. Finding a well bred standard poodle isn't an elusive feat...

I know that the standards for temperaments of the mini and toy poodles are supposed to be the same but...after having owned all three sizes, I have to say I meet muuuuuch more balanced standard poodles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts