Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you prefer and why? I wanted to see what other people's thoughts would be

I'm asking because I know I want my next dog to be an eskie but I'm not sure which size. We (they're family dogs) have 5 dogs which consist of maltese, yorkies and a lab. Since I already have small dogs I'm leaning towards the standard or mini rather than the toy.

I know there's not a massive difference between mini and standard so it doesn't really matter much either way but still I wanted to figure it out now so in the future, when I'm ready to get my eskie, I'll already know which size I want. Which reminds me, is it easier to find a good breeder for a standard or mini? That might be the deciding factor.

I'll be doing lots of activities with him. Hiking, going to the beach, biking, boating, kayaking, paddle boarding, I'd like to try some dog sports, etc. I'm sure any size eskie could do these things and enjoy it as well - just a bit of background info here.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't worry about size first. Just find a breeder than you like, that's reputable. One that has only a small number of litters, doesn't breed dogs more than a few times, health tests, does shows or sports, has dogs that you like the look of and then go with whatever size they have!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If you want the dog for so many things I would vote for a standard. I probably would anyway. Like you said the size difference isn't that drastic and then you'd also have a dog that was more medium sized rather than lap sized. It sounds like your lap is probably full!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I use to own a mini eskie and she was up for all those activities until about 13 years old, she was put down at 13 due to advanced cancer which seemed to pop up over night because she wasn't a dog to show discomfort or pain. She was up for ANYTHING.

That being said she was mid size mini and the perfect size if I needed to pull her out of or away from something, if she was a standard size I think I'd have more troubles dragging her out of the woods in the middle of our multi-day hikes if she got hurt.

also a lot lighter to pack food for as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts