Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my puppy Midnight (6 month old lab mix) has this odd behavior regarding bones and treats with my older dog Sarah (5 years old, beagle). Midnight loves her some bones, she's also very submissive to Sarah (neither one is trying to be alpha). Sarah will let her know when she's being annoying and Midnight will totally lay down on her back, sometimes preemptively knowing that what she's doing will annoy Sarah. Like my kids! Now if I give both dogs the exact same bone, Midnight will completely ignore the one I gave her and be totally fixated on the one Sarah is chewing. She'll stand right next to her watching in an almost obsessive fashion. When Sarah is done, she will swoop in and take the bone Sarah was chewing leaving the bone I gave her completely untouched. Then if Sarah takes the bone that Midnight ignored, she'll obsessively stare and stalk her until she finishes then take it to chew it. I will call Midnights name and it'll snap her out of her trance but then she goes back to it. I have pretty much taken to having them chew in different rooms. It helps that Sarah isn't that much into bones. Midnight is a heavy chewer. Why is she stalking/staring and what can I do about it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have no idea why your puppy behaves the way she does. It could be because your puppy is in the early stages of adolescence and trying to find out what she can get away with. I would only give them the bones when the dogs are in separate rooms and put the bones away before letting the dogs in the same room again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My dogs do similar things. They always want what the other dog has, even when I give them all the same thing. My GSD use to take the chews from the Basset Hound and then sit on her chewy while eating his. Now my Dane will sometimes watch one of the boys eat their chew for a few minutes before starting on hers. And if one of the boys leave their chewy she will go and take it. Dogs are weird.

Reactions: LuckySarah

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dogs do similar things. They always want what the other dog has, even when I give them all the same thing. My GSD use to take the chews from the Basset Hound and then sit on her chewy while eating his. Now my Dane will sometimes watch one of the boys eat their chew for a few minutes before starting on hers. And if one of the boys leave their chewy she will go and take it. Dogs are weird.
LMAO! That made me laugh, especially at the GSD "I'm gonna take yours and sit on mine then you can't have it!". There doesn't seem to be any contention between them about it. Just very human toddler siblings like LOL.

·
Registered
911 Posts
LMAO! That made me laugh, especially at the GSD "I'm gonna take yours and sit on mine then you can't have it!". There doesn't seem to be any contention between them about it. Just very human toddler siblings like LOL.
She was a funny girl. She would also hide food in her mouth and try to get another treat. She loved her food, I always said it was because when she was a puppy she was sickly and skin and bones. She spent the rest of her life making up for it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Echo doesn't stalk and stare that intensely, but she wants all the chews. She takes every opportunity to steal Reese and Chess', before she even starts on hers. Personally, I correct that behavior. I do not allow her to take others treats/toys. It's like a little kid, just wants what everyone else has. I think it's pretty common behavior, and I don't think you can ever train the desire to have it all out of them. But I have taught her to leave others treats/toys alone unless I say she can have them. No need to be greedy!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
In the summertime, Susie will sometimes go around and gather up all the old bones and put them in a pile. She does not guard them, any of the other dogs can come and take one, but she just seems to like to gather them up.

I can't give her and Kris each a fresh bone without separating them as all it takes is a look from Susie and Kris drops her bone and leaves it so Susie can go over and take it and ends up with both bones.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dogs are perpetual toddlers, so long as they aren't doing anything to hurt each other there's no reason to stop this behavior.

As my mom would say about our family dog, "What's yours is yours and what's mine is yours."

My dog is a very docile critter who really has no qualms about sharing, but my brother's dog is the jealous type. When we're both visiting anything my dog so much as breathes on is soundly chewed to bits...including toys he'd had a proven disinterest in. He has no gather instinct so it's quite comical to watch him dart from room to room taking anything away from my dog that he can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.