Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a benefit to staggering the time vaccines are given to puppies? I was looking at the typical AVMA schedule and seen that the ammount of vaccines they get as puppies is huge. My puppy and Miniture American Shepherd isn't the smallest breed but I recently got wind of Dr Robb and what he says makes sense. I know with children, there is a trend of staggering the vaccines so they don't get so many in a short period of time. I'm wondering if my boy Oakley would benefit from the same idea?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I believe you are not looking for a way to reduce the number of needed vaccinations, but to space them out so as not too administer too many at one time. I am a believer in spacing them out as is our Vet, who always advocates waiting two or three weeks between vaccinations, whenever she is due for multiples.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe you are not looking for a way to reduce the number of needed vaccinations, but to space them out so as not too administer too many at one time. I am a believer in spacing them out as is our Vet, who always advocates waiting two or three weeks between vaccinations, whenever she is due for multiples.
This! I'm not a anti-vaxer, I know they are detrimental to my dogs health and life. I just want to space them out.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As long as your pup is not a high exposure risk, i.e. going to dog parks, training facilities, or boarding, before he finishes all the vaccine series than it shouldn't be an issue to space them out. At my work we prefer not to do the Rabies vaccine at the same time as the DA2PP, but we only do intranasal administration of the Bordetella which is fairly benign so will do that at the same time as any of the other vaccines. We also offer the Lyme and Rattlesnake vaccine if the pets lifestyle warrants it, but we won't start those until the pet has finished the other vaccines. The only one concern with delaying or spreading the vaccines is that most places require you to have the Rabies vaccine done by the time your pup is 4 or 5 months or they bombard you with a bunch of fines when you go to register your dog.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, of course you can stagger vaccines, it may bring you to the vet pretty frequently during those first couple of months of having your pup, though. Our current protocol starts DHPP at 6-8 weeks, with boosters every 3 weeks until 16 weeks of age. On the last two sets we give DHLPP as lepto is considered core vaccine down here in the swamp. Intranasal Bordetella at 12 weeks (no booster needed if 12 weeks or older), Rabies at 14-16 weeks (state law says give at 12 weeks, but we will delay if pet is tiny, etc). So really the only time a pup receives more than one inoculation in the same visit is at 12 and 14-16 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts