Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I’ve had my 9month staffy x for 4 weeks now (from rspca) and she has episodes where she goes crazy, running, barking and then biting. I dont know whats wrong with her??

We play with her and take her on walks but she will have a rush and she starts to break things... does anyone have any tips (besides crate training) She also breaks the plants and then starts digging and plows her nose into the dirt.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
This sort of thing often happens when they are tired, but like toddlers they don't recognise they need to rest.

If you can, predict when it starts and prevent it rather try to stop it. A calming activity like licking out a frozen Kong or a lickimat might help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sort of thing often happens when they are tired, but like toddlers they don't recognise they need to rest.

If you can, predict when it starts and prevent it rather try to stop it. A calming activity like licking out a frozen Kong or a lickimat might help.
Thank you so much! I recently bought a kong so I’ll definitely try it out

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
She's a cutie! :D. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Jmarina

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
Yes, gorgeous. The digging is a terrier trait - the name terrier comes from the word terra, earth. She would probably enjoy a sand pit with toys hidden in it, or @LMMB 's shredded paper game (if we ask nicely she might post photos of that ...)

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Yeah, no box is safe in this house. :D 😁

The Puzzle Box game;

1 box (or 1 box per dog);
20201107_132004.jpg

Shredded/crumpled paper;
20201107_132010.jpg

Treats;
20201107_132317.jpg

Put together like so;
20201107_132525.jpg

Give to the dog(s)
20201107_145825.jpg

The resulting mess is worth it for a happy dog. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, no box is safe in this house. :D 😁

The Puzzle Box game;

1 box (or 1 box per dog);
View attachment 248491

Shredded/crumpled paper;
View attachment 248492

Treats;
View attachment 248493

Put together like so;
View attachment 248494

Give to the dog(s)
View attachment 248495

The resulting mess is worth it for a happy dog. :D
Hahaha that looks like so much fun! She will start by eating the treats and work her way to destroying the box into bits 😂😂 but I know she will love it. Thank you so much!!

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Hahaha that looks like so much fun! She will start by eating the treats and work her way to destroying the box into bits 😂😂 but I know she will love it. Thank you so much!!
That's the point ;)

And you're welcome. 😁

Reactions: Jmarina

·
Registered
Bosco 6mo ,Mutt , Blue 6mo , Mutt , Fang 13 yr Cat
1 Posts
Hey,

I’ve had my 9month staffy x for 4 weeks now (from rspca) and she has episodes where she goes crazy, running, barking and then biting. I dont know whats wrong with her??

We play with her and take her on walks but she will have a rush and she starts to break things... does anyone have any tips (besides crate training) She also breaks the plants and then starts digging and plows her nose into the dirt.
She is board and anxious -.A New home Is scary. I bet her previous owners didn’t try to train or expected immediate results , so when she developed destructive tendencies dumped her.
I had 2 poms until they passed of health problems in their senior years . Mine were very intelligent active little monsters ( said with love ) and became board easy. They also tried To dominate & rule the roost . How long a walk do you take her on ? Ryuk would walk 2 blocks then insist on being carried but Nimby would run 1/2 a mile then Walk 1/2 mile 2x a day . Start obedience training it is a must . Use positive reinforcement to train them it works - But takes time ! discipline just Makes Pom’s more stubborn making them even more destructive. Work hard on separation anxiety.
Pom’s are so cute but you have to stay strict with training . teach them little jobs like picking up her toys and putting them up .😃 Interactive toys like scent puzzles are great Eventually work up to Hideing her treats and teach her to hunt them out. Make her work for a treat and praise non destructive behaviors. Also after activity hold her and do a calming routine.otherwise hyperactivity leads to destruction 😂😂 destruction gets her attention -
Nimby had the job of keeping me moving and warning me if my blood sugar Dropped 2 low or was rob high . He took his job seriously. Ryuk’s job was being Nimby’s friend and keep him on his toes lol. both took being our guard dogs seriously Letting us know if our neighbors moved a single inch 😂😂 if a spider was on the floor or a fly flew by or the mail man or garbage man was here and if a ghost visited lol ( unexplained barking) poms love to talk I couldn’t get mine to stay quite or stop barking love lol Talk to a trainer . It is a fallacy that Pom’s can’t be trained it just takes patience , love and a bunch of treats

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She is board and anxious -.A New home Is scary. I bet her previous owners didn’t try to train or expected immediate results , so when she developed destructive tendencies dumped her.
I had 2 poms until they passed of health problems in their senior years . Mine were very intelligent active little monsters ( said with love ) and became board easy. They also tried To dominate & rule the roost . How long a walk do you take her on ? Ryuk would walk 2 blocks then insist on being carried but Nimby would run 1/2 a mile then Walk 1/2 mile 2x a day . Start obedience training it is a must . Use positive reinforcement to train them it works - But takes time ! discipline just Makes Pom’s more stubborn making them even more destructive. Work hard on separation anxiety.
Pom’s are so cute but you have to stay strict with training . teach them little jobs like picking up her toys and putting them up .😃 Interactive toys like scent puzzles are great Eventually work up to Hideing her treats and teach her to hunt them out. Make her work for a treat and praise non destructive behaviors. Also after activity hold her and do a calming routine.otherwise hyperactivity leads to destruction 😂😂 destruction gets her attention -
Nimby had the job of keeping me moving and warning me if my blood sugar Dropped 2 low or was rob high . He took his job seriously. Ryuk’s job was being Nimby’s friend and keep him on his toes lol. both took being our guard dogs seriously Letting us know if our neighbors moved a single inch 😂😂 if a spider was on the floor or a fly flew by or the mail man or garbage man was here and if a ghost visited lol ( unexplained barking) poms love to talk I couldn’t get mine to stay quite or stop barking love lol Talk to a trainer . It is a fallacy that Pom’s can’t be trained it just takes patience , love and a bunch of treats
I’m so sorry to hear that, they sounded like absolute cuties!! 🥰
We have seen a huge difference in her behaviour since we got her, she is responding better when we ask her to do something. You are absolutely right about boredom, once she hits that stage of complete boredom she turns into a crazy gal.
Thank you so much for your help and insight into this ❤❤

1 - 15 of 15 Posts