Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
My puppy Winston is coming up to a year now, so is starting to look a bit more grown up and less puppy like. He was sold to me as a pure staffy but obviously that was a lie, seeing as the older he gets the less staffy like he looks 馃槄
I didn't see the parents as I purchased him off of a family who bought him from the breeder, however gave him up after a week of having him due to a change in circumstances, so I have very little knowledge about his origin!
Looking at him I have a few ideas of what he could be crossed with, including Ridgeback, lurcher, lab and German shepherd! He is extremely intelligent and at times very strong willed, he's also highly vocal and will more than happily argue with you! He loves to chase things and just act like a little s**t 80% of the time haha, but at the same time is so very loving and cuddly.
IMG_20200929_103904_963.jpg
20200929_150540.jpg
IMG_20200924_213758_658.jpg
20200816_165544.jpg

Difficulty is I've never come across a pooch that looks anything like him, so was wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Emma : )

Registered
Looks like a Rhodesian Ridgeback, here is a picture of a Rhodesian Ridgeback to give u an idea.

the dog in the picture also has the white under her chest like your dog and the white on the paws..
Hope it helps!

Registered
It could be part Ridgeback but has something else in it as his ears are not set right, should have more hound like ears.

Registered
Ridgeback/yellow lab? I think ridgebacks have that strip of reverse fur going down their back?

My friend had a ridgeback/rottie. Had the rottie colors but ridgeback body shape and cute face :)

He's so adorable! Love his little floppy ears ;)

Registered
I agree with the ridgeback, or a ridgeback cross.
Can ridgebacks be produced without the ridge of hair ?

Registered
I agree with the ridgeback, or a ridgeback cross.
Can ridgebacks be produced without the ridge of hair ?
I don't think Brandy had much of the ridge, I think it would depend on which characteristics the mix picked up from each parent. But i'm not sure. If he does have the ridge, at least there's that.

Registered
@Emsbolton seems like we have twin dogs! She is just over 2 years, we were told she was Ridgeback/German Shepherd mix, but think there may be staffy in there too. We too got her as a puppy from a family who couldn't keep her, unfortunately we think she was mistreated in the 3 1/2 months before we got her as she is terrified of men/hats/walking sticks/water, but she is very loving and likes to sit on your knee!
IMG_20210131_092228.jpg

Registered
I have a very similar looking dog, not as tall as Ebomb, the vet says mine has little Staffie legs! I was convinced she was GSD X Ridgeback, had her DNA tested and she's GSD, American Bullterrier, American Bulldog and Staffie, so basically a GSD cross American Pitbull and Staffie. She's a rescue but I did manage to trace her history back to her original owners, which was a breeder, unregistered, the RSPCA used to go in every now and again and sweep up any litters and rehome them, and they confirmed the dogs he kept match her mix. A Sheppit appears to be a known breed in the US. Gorgeous, sensitive, loyal and intelligent dog. I've needed a bit of coaching as although I'm a experienced dog owner, I haven't had any bull breeds before and she was a bit of a handle for start with, all good now.

Attachments

Registered
Hi Joanne

sorry for any alarm but as I understand it cross breeds aren't banned, I read up on it extensively to make sure I hadn't purchased something that was going to be a problem. If she was pure pitbull she would be banned, she just has a mixture, I've also declared her full mix to the insurers and they are happy to insure her too. It's interesting though how in the US a Sheppit seems to be as acceptable as a cockerpoo is here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts