Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been asked a 1000 times, but how much exercise is safe for a puppy? Ozzy turned 10 weeks yesterday. He's a black and silver mini schnauzer. I've never had a puppy so active, Ozzy is a bit crazy haha!

He just loves to sprint outside. He has loved to zoomie around the backyard since he was 8 weeks. When i'm picking up leaves by hand or raking, he looses his mind, trying to grab the leaves before or as I pick them up, then jumps on the leaf pile and starts ripping through the pile back and forth or around the yard haha! It's very cute and has me laughing so hard, but does he need to chill out? 馃 Like when they say restrict running for a pup, do they mean jogging for long distances?

We also sprint in the backyard. We've been practicing this since he was 7 weeks. We started with a very short distance. We still only go a short distance, but he is much quicker now and we go a bit further. Then at the end of the sprint, I tell him good boy and he rolls over on his back wiggling his paws in the air. Then we get up and do it again. I restrict any sprinting to 3 or 4 times tops at a time session, or we change directions zigzagging. Just want to make sure this is ok for him because he just loves to run (and fast) 馃槤. He will also run full speed and stop suddenly when/if he has to or jumps into your arms lol.

I'm pretty sure it's ok, but I have seen his front paw shake at times while he was just sitting there. One paw and reminds me of over stimulated muscles. I have reduced exercise session amounts since starting training, but he is a high energy, very active puppy. Don't get me wrong, we exercise and he naps and sleeps very well, he's a very good boy, I just want to make sure it's ok for him to rip it up outside until we learn to walk on a leash.

Super Moderator
The exercise recommendations relate to on lead forced exercise and the amount is 5 minutes per month of age.

So running around wouldn't usually be included in that limit.

That said, until his growth plates have closed, I'd probably limit the sprinting, and particularly be careful of turns.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok thank you 馃榿 That helps a lot! I wouldn't have known about changing directions. I will stop the zigzagging and limit any sprints. I'll start hiding behind the trees and peekaboo as he enjoys that too. As for the zoomies while raking and picking up leaves, I think that's ok. Thank you!!!

Joanne said:
The exercise recommendations relate to on lead forced exercise and the amount is 5 minutes per month of age.
Does this apply to walking as well just so I know, tx!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
JoanneF said:
Does this apply to walking as well just so I know, tx!
I was wondering if 2x twenty minute walks per day are ok for a 16 week old puppy or if it's only one 20 minute walk or two 10 minute walks tx!

Super Moderator
2 x 20 minutes is the guidance. It depends on the walk too though - if it is proper walking on hard surfaces like pavements, keep to 20 minutes. But if you are on grass and there is a lit of sniffing you can stay out for a lot longer :)

Registered
Be patient you have a lot of time. I would not be sprinting with your puppy at 16 weeks. Allowing free play (called noodling) and easy walks 2x10 min. (allowing to sniff and zig zag on their own. ) Here is a chart on when growth plates close.

Mind exercises can tire a puppy out way more than physical exercise and puppies need a little of both.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Be patient you have a lot of time. I would not be sprinting with your puppy at 16 weeks. Allowing free play (called noodling) and easy walks 2x10 min. (allowing to sniff and zig zag on their own. ) Here is a chart on when growth plates close. View attachment 248641
Mind exercises can tire a puppy out way more than physical exercise and puppies need a little of both.
Thank you! But I have new problem. I don't sprint anymore, but Ozzy does. He runs all over the place, inside and out, he loves to run around with a toy, it's his favorite game. I don't know how to stop it. Mini schnauzers were bred to run, stop on a dime and switch directions. He does it naturally, rips around. How would I stop it?

We actually play so many mind games and all day long. It never stops (except to nap), we always find a new game to play.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So same thing, he loves to race around. I never had a dog that loves to run like Ozzy. He walks at such a fast pace sometimes out on a walk, I'm forced to jog lightly to keep up. I've been trying to slow him down a bit, but he's crazy! The other day, he was saying hello to the mailman, jumping and flipping a bit happily as he followed him (we were talking as the mailman walked to the next house). The mailman was like "he's a jumper huh?" He gets really excited to cross the street on command and jumps, flips and woofs in excitement. He makes everyone smile and laugh, and is super cute, but his personality is very bouncy and happy.

I limit walks to 20-30 mins (he'll be 6 months old tomorrow), but is he too crazy ripping off lead in the backyard and jumping and flipping? The jumping and flipping is not bad behaviour, it's cute, but I worry about his growth plates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts