Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Springer Spaniels. A Male and a Female. Both 2 years old

They are both fed the same thing. Blue Buffalo Basics Grain Free Turkey

The male has had what I think is dandruff for as long as I can remember. When you comb or pet him, he has small white flakes that fall out of his skin that makes it look like he has dandruff.

I have them on a good food and mostly feed them the healthier treats as well...mostly from the "good treat aisle" in petco. So its not like they are eating a bunch of junk treats from walmart.

Is there something I could put in his food to try and get rid of it before i spend $100 on a vet visit? I really dont want to change their food either....

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
be careful with the good treats. Even a good ingredient can be bad for your dog. Choose one with turkey if he tolerates the turkey food well.

You can add fish oil and coconut oil to moisturize his coat. The coconut oil is a yeast fighter,too. Does your dog stink really badly?

Another thing is to get a skin shampoo from the vet. They are more expensive than pet store stuff but I can tell my dog gets relief from it. Mine is on siccaderm and episoothe but I think malaseb is pretty popular.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skin

their skin is not dry...it is nice and shiny....just has the flakes in it all the time

i will try flaxseed oil..im guessing 1 tablespoon per week?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just looked and the food they are on contains flaxseed oil...shoudl i maybe try the coconut or olive oil?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
their skin is not dry...it is nice and shiny....just has the flakes in it all the time

i will try flaxseed oil..im guessing 1 tablespoon per week?
Food usually contains a small amount, not enough to do any good. I like the ground seed. Its hard to find fresh oil and sometimes it is already going bad when you buy it. Trader Joes has it already ground 16 oz for about 3.00 Some stores I have seen it 3 times that amount. Add a tablespoon to each meal for best results. If you use the oil a teaspoon per meal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 2 Springer Spaniels. A Male and a Female. Both 2 years old

They are both fed the same thing. Blue Buffalo Basics Grain Free Turkey

The male has had what I think is dandruff for as long as I can remember. When you comb or pet him, he has small white flakes that fall out of his skin that makes it look like he has dandruff.

I have them on a good food and mostly feed them the healthier treats as well...mostly from the "good treat aisle" in petco. So its not like they are eating a bunch of junk treats from walmart.

Is there something I could put in his food to try and get rid of it before i spend $100 on a vet visit? I really dont want to change their food either....

Thanks !
I dont know if u tried any of these but its worth a try....http://www.andyspetfoodandsupply.co...www.andyspetfoodandsupply.com/product/LD10079...... :thumbsup:Let me know if it works out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts