Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, our English Springer is about 15 months old. She's always had a thing for my dads boots and guards them with her life, against our Alaskan Malamute. However, over the past month or so, she has become increasingly more wary to the Mal and guards EVERYTHING, from food (not unusual), the mat, a corner, basically anything. The wierd thing is, is that the Mal doesnt have to be anywhere near these areas before the Springer is on guard shaking, growling and barking at her.

The other day she was sat on my dads lap, and the malamute entered the room and again spaniel went crazy growling and barking. Mal finally got fed up of this and went for her which turned into a massive brawl in the front room between the two dogs. (This has never happened before)

The even wierder thing is, when the springer wants to and gets attention she will happily play fight with our other dog and be near her when she doesnt feel threatened. It is getting to the point where its worrying everyone with what is going on because it is completely random. My mum is always around them and has never witnessed anything to which could cause i dislike to the other dog.

Can anybody help, please?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
You have quite a case of Resource Guarding on your hands.

Start by reading this thread.

Then you may be best off to consult a behaviorist to help you with the training. This is extra challenging because she is guarding against other dogs, a slightly more difficult thing to train to fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.