Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just bought our first springador (previously had collies). We've met mum and dad. Mum is a flat coat Labrador and dad is a springer spaniel. The puppy has a flat coat but does anyone know if this usually changes to a more curly coat.
Many thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for explaining what a springador is because I was thoroughly confused. No one can know what your mixed breed puppy's adult coat will look like. Especially as a first generation mix. You will just have to be surprised. Genetics are tricky. It may look like one, the other, most of one, some of one, or both.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ime pupppy coats normally indicate adult coat type...
Is the mom a labrador retriever or a flat coat retriever? Two different breeds. Two different coat types.

If the puppy has a lab like coat then it's unlikely to change drastically to a curly coat. If it has a flat coat retriever or springer spaniel type coat then waves are certainly possible as the coat lengthens with time/maturity.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ime pupppy coats normally indicate adult coat type...
Is the mom a labrador retriever or a flat coat retriever? Two different breeds. Two different coat types.

If the puppy has a lab like coat then it's unlikely to change drastically to a curly coat. If it has a flat coat retriever or springer spaniel type coat then waves are certainly possible as the coat lengthens with time/maturity.:)
Posted via Mobile Device
Interesting reply because I've searched so many sites and the photos of Labrador retrievers mostly have flat coats. I always thought that Labrador retrievers had long coats and "just" Labradors had flat coats. I'm clearly wrong.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
There are several different retriever breeds, all with different coat types.

Labrador retrievers only come in one coat type (but three colors): and that is the short, double coat you'll see when you google pictures.

There is also a completely separate breed of dog called a Flat Coat retriever that has a longer, more flowing coat.

I think the confusion is that you said one dog was a flat coat lab, which isn't really terminology associated with the breed. All labs have the same coat type.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Interesting reply because I've searched so many sites and the photos of Labrador retrievers mostly have flat coats. I always thought that Labrador retrievers had long coats and "just" Labradors had flat coats. I'm clearly wrong.
Maybe you're confusing a couple breeds?
"Lab'' and ''Labrador'' are shortened names for Labrador Retriever (full, official breed name). Come in 3 colors but all should have the same coat type.
Labrador Retriever Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club

There are 2 different breeds, Golden Retrievers and Flat Coat Retrievers, that look sort of like labs but with longer coats.
Flat-Coated Retriever Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club
Golden Retriever Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you're confusing a couple breeds?
"Lab'' and ''Labrador'' are shortened names for Labrador Retriever (full, official breed name). Come in 3 colors but all should have the same coat type.
Labrador Retriever Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club

There are 2 different breeds, Golden Retrievers and Flat Coat Retrievers, that look sort of like labs but with longer coats.
Flat-Coated Retriever Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club
Golden Retriever Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club
Now I understand. Thank you for clearing that up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts