Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we're going to be getting a new dog this spring, and we'd like to feed it a combination diet. Raw only would be a goal, but we simply can't afford the time or money involved in doing it properly at the moment. We were looking into mixing the three foods I mentioned, Spot farms dehydrated, Merrick dry, and raw food (primarily chicken quarters and cow/lamb liver and heart). How do you guys think this would work out?

It will be a Shetland sheepdog

We currently have two older dogs that are on Purina Pro-plan, and we likely won't switch them due to their age and that they seem to do well on it

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
What size of dog are you looking at? It is cheaper to feed a 10 pound dog, rather than a 200 pound Dane, but when you get into it and start networking, you would be surprised how cheap and easy it can be. I have friends that give me meats that they won't eat, totally fine for the dog. link up with hunters, put out ads for free meat and people sometimes clean out their freezers. Dehydrated is usually very expensive overall.

Just be aware that kibble and raw have different digestion times, kibble is slower, where raw is out the back door pretty quick. I feed raw primary, but he'll get cooked meals 2 or 3 times a week just to sneak some extra vitamins and minerals into them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spot farms is actually super affordable, it's $46 for what turns into 42lbs of food when hydrated, and grain free, it's not pure meat, but it's a decent balance

20 lbs for this dog, a sheltie

It's illegal to give away non-USDA meat in my state unfortunately, so while I can get hunted from friends and family somewhat legally, and I will, though most have dogs themselves that get it, I can't get it from strangers. I've looked around the local area, and raw feeding is actually pretty popular out here, even the local farmers market sells 80/10/10 mixes and the popular choices like tripe and liver, however, this also means the price matches the demand. There is a co-op that drops off about an hour away, but the times for it are hard to get to, and it's still pricey for muscle meats, I think ground pork is like $3 a pound even, and it's the cheapest other than chicken. I'd like to avoid store bought meat too, even though it's cheaper, and feeding only one main protein is said to be bad.

Yeah, the other two used to be raw fed, and still get some raw. And as we'll be getting a puppy it'll be out super frequently anyhow. The older adults are 10 and 8

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I feed like you are planning to do as I believe feeding the same protein over and over again can set your dog up for food allergies (Accordind to Dr Karen Becker)
I've been feeding raw, dehydrated, canned, and kibble with the kibble being the only constant (but varied brands & type proteins)
Everyday Molly gets either a raw protein (chicken,beef, lamb,goat,or pork)in the A.M. and a measured amount of kibble in her bowl that is free fed, as she self regulates just fine.
Each A.M. the raw is rotated with either canned, dehydrated or home cooked so she has a constant variety of foods in her diet..........
I also change the kibble type every bag.........my girl has NO digestive problems, so I can do this!
A good source of different meats are ethnic grocery stores....I have both Asian and International type grocery stores near me where I can get organs, fish, and goat meat quite inexpensively! I bought Molly a lamb eyeball just to see what she would do with it and she ate it! (ugh!) LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
That would be fine, but separate the feedings. Kibble in the am, raw later in the pm. Sometimes the cooked and raw cause digestive issues if mixed or fed closely together. I learned that the hard way myself when I had to clean poop off the walls, base boards, etc....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it'd definitely be different meals, if anything do to my lifestyle, I go to work and classes super early, like 5am, so kibble is easy then, but I have time to fiddle around with others later. My fiance is useless at feeding and I'd have fat dogs if I let him touch their bowls

I'll probably stick to Merrick, as it's the cheapest I can find of the quality I'd like to use, though if that changes I'll probably go to Orijen or Zignature

I'd definitely switch up proteins, it's part of the point of wanting to use multiple foods, while I might only easily be able to get chicken quarters and cow liver for raw locally at a decent price, I can mix in other meats through the kibbles and dehydrated. There aren't really any ethnic stores locally unless I go into the city, though I suppose I could ask local authentic Asian restaurants where they get their supplies, there is a local Japanese place that serves some odd things, they have to have a supplier somewhere

I do a decent amount of fishing too, so I'll be freezing surplus for them, I know you should freeze for 3 weeks and clean carefully to remove hooks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts