Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a neutered male 1 year old American Bulldog mix, he eats other animals' poop on walks. I feed him and my 8 month old chihuahua mix Sportmix Wholesomes Chicken meal and rice dry kibble. Is the food causing the coprophagia?
I'm looking up ways on google to make him stop eating poop, and one of the reasons they suggest is that the quality of food might not be so good. Is anyone familiar with this food, and do you know if it might cause coprophagia because of low quality? My other dog doesn't have the same poop eating habits though, so it's strange.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sometimes poop eating is a bad habit that can be hard to break. Other times, its nutritional. Try changing to a better quality food. Give it a month or so and see if it changes. Many years ago I had several who ate poop. All poop. Theirs, others and even our horses poop. I changed to feeding raw and they all stopped within about two weeks. Its been about 10 years now, and I haven't had one to even think about it. So I feel most of the time its a nutritional thing. Try a better quality food, and in the meantime just try to discourage doing it every chance you can.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Doesnt look to be the worst but OK to me but seriously like @naturalfeddogs said it can be a bad habit, like her i feed my Jessie pre made prey model raw food and she just is attracted to other poop and if im not onto her she will eat dog poop, sheep poo you name it!

I try get her to leave it but that we need to work on with her. But will be intresting once im balancing her raw meals myself what happens with the poop eating. one thing i noticed since she been on raw and the labs still on acana is when they go to poo she will be by their backside watching it come out and try eat it! not sure why but i suspect its because of the kibble and acana is a high quality food. hmmm sometimes theres no answers even for me who feeds pre made raw with no fillers, preservatives etc!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Actually the Sportmix Wholesomes is a fairly highly rated food. I have just started my dogs on it and it is rated 4 stars on the Food kibble list. I have not tried the chicken but have used the Lamb & Rice and right now have the White fish and Rice and they certainly seem to really like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts