Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings~

Just a quick question about dog temperments or if this behaviour is unique to this boxer.
Occasionally the dog will suddenly grow incredibly hyperactive and is likely to hurt himself and anyone around as he sprints and jumps around the house, smashing into doors and walls. Any time this happens, he has to be let outside where he will do several laps around our decently large garden at top speed, then promptly walk back inside as if nothing had happened.
While I have not personally witnessed it more than once, my mother informs me that this happens quite often, but completely at random.

These bursts of energy only last a minute or two and they dont really do any harm, I'm just curious if this is a known occurrence with all breeds of dogs, boxers in particular or just ours?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
They call that "the zoomies" its a buildup of excess energy.

Its kinda cute to watch usually, but it sounds like your dog has super zoomies...lol

So ya, more exercise or training games to work his mind and you'll see it less.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for that~ Doing Youtube searches for that yields some fairly familiar looking videos! =D

Another quick question though, one of my friends mentioned to me that inbreeding is one of the causes of Zoomies. Is there any truth to this?
It doesn't matter to me either way, Rocky's a thoroughbred so a degree of inbreeding is basically expected.
He mentioned that non-inbred dogs also get zoomies, but to a lesser extent.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Cheers for that~ Doing Youtube searches for that yields some fairly familiar looking videos! =D

Another quick question though, one of my friends mentioned to me that inbreeding is one of the causes of Zoomies. Is there any truth to this?
It doesn't matter to me either way, Rocky's a thoroughbred so a degree of inbreeding is basically expected.
He mentioned that non-inbred dogs also get zoomies, but to a lesser extent.
never heard that one before...I would just think its related to the dogs energy level.

i was going to suggest you search it on youtube....cute videos huh? lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
We call it Boxer Burns!! Billy gets a HUGE amount of exercise but still burns at least once a day but always in the garden - he has never done it in the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts