Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month we are spaying our 7 month old puppy. She was suppose to be spayed when we got her but she got a disease so we couldn't do the surgery then. Right now the is very active crazy and destructive. My question is that will spaying her make her more calm and easier to handle she is a coonhound so she is very energetic. Also I have heard that spaying a puppy studs there growth is this true. We're going on vacation soon so we want her to be as calm as possible should I rescedule my opitment to before the vacation.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Spaying won't do much at all for energy, really. She'll be tired right after the spay but will bounce back once the drugs wear off.

One thing that can help to calm young dogs down, besides exercise, is treat puzzles that give them something to focus their energy on. Kong makes some great ones but there are others too.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We had our SBT spayed when she was 7 months, we wanted to have her spayed at 6 months but then out other dog managed to cut an artery so we delayed getting her spayed until he was healed and everything was back to normal!

Getting Zoey spayed had absolutely no affect on her energy levels at all. Once she was healed she was just as bouncy, energetic and fun-loving as before.

As for the stunted growth I read a few articles recently that said that dogs that have been neutered (I'm not sure if it was just talking about males?) generally end up being taller than those of the same breed that haven't been neutered. Has anybody else read this?

When you have your pup spayed make sure you get pain relief for once she is brought home. When Zoey was spayed we were given no pain relief and had to really argue with our vet to get some. She was sick every few hours and utterly miserable, and the pain relief helped her bounce back and be comfortable.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
No, spaying will not effect her energy levels. Spaying a female does not stunt their growth.

She'll need 7- 10 days of crate rest after she's spayed.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
ScoutandSadie;2786714 We're going on vacation soon so we want her to be as calm as possible should I rescedule my opitment to before the vacation.[/QUOTE said:
It wont change her energy level. I would have her spayed before you leave simply because you don't want to have a dog in heat on vacation. If you have never had a female in heat you don't want it to happen in unfamilialr surroundings. It is hard enough to control at home.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
7 months is actually the best time to spay a pup in my opinion. Like everyone else said it will likely have no effect on her energy level. Walk her more, train her, give her places to run and give her time consuming toys like kongs stuffed with treats. That will help calm her down when you want to relax.

·
Registered
871 Posts
As for the stunted growth I read a few articles recently that said that dogs that have been neutered (I'm not sure if it was just talking about males?) generally end up being taller than those of the same breed that haven't been neutered. Has anybody else read this?
As far as I know this mostly has to do with males, and it happens in a lot of species. Altered males at a younger age tend to grow taller/leaner and the concern has to do with bone density. Unaltered until full grown tends to make thicker built animals that are not as tall as their early-age altered counterparts. I know this happens a lot in horses.

I think the concerns with spaying too young has to do with possibilities of damaging organs because everything is so small and working on growing. A small tear can become larger scar tissue later and alter how these organs grow with the pup.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It won't change her energy level. I personally don't like to spay dogs too early. I think of it like inducing menopause on a 9 year old girl. My girl is 12 months and unspayed. She used to pee when she got excited. During her first heat her vulva got huge. After the heat it returned to almost it's normal size, but since that change the excitement peeing stopped. I see why early spaying is correlated with spay incontinence. She went into heat at 10.5 months. Larger dogs tend to go into heat later.

I would schedule the spay during a time where you can spend some time with her while she heals. I know the longer you wait to spay, the greater the risk for pyometra. I just don't think that if you're a responsible dog owner it is something you need to do urgently while the puppy is 6 months old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts