Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So in the last few weeks I've noticed my 10 month old pup (spayed) has been showing some humping behaviour. It's usually when she's excited and she'll either grab a toy and start humping it or she'll just stand there and hump the air lol

My senior dog is male and neutered and has never shown any type of humping behaviour so she wouldn't have picked it up from him. Not sure if she could have picked it up from daycare?

I'm not concerned or anything, just thought it was peculiar behaviour and I always kind of chuckle when I see her do it. It is pretty common/normal for spayed females to do this?

·
Registered
434 Posts
They'll do it for a variety of reasons. I have a one-year old Yorkie and just introduced a Morkie about two months ago. Our Yorkie has been neutered but he humps the puppy every once in a while. I believe its because our Yorkie is like a old man, even though he's only a year old. He loves to sleep a lot and isn't super high energy. He hates swimming and most of the things other dogs love. Introduce into his orbit a puppy who is high energy, loves swimming and baths and jumping off of ridiculously high items (well tries to but we stop him). So, I surmised that he's doing it as a "control" or dominance thing. Some dogs do it because they've discovered that it feels good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah my spayed female does the same thing with the blanket on the bed. I say "now stop that, your too nice of girl to go around being a 'hoe"," My ex wife would just scream at me for this. Haha. I had other female dogs do this too but I just distract them with something. I think they are bored and want to do something or just want some attention.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
It's probably just an over-aroused/excitement thing. She's so pumped, she doesn't know what to do with herself. :p

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys!

@Bentwings haha that made me laugh. I pretty much think the same think when Mia is doing it.

@Shandula haha yeah, I laugh every time I think about it. I think you nailed it right on the head. When I think back to some of the times she's done it, she's either tried to engage my senior dog in play (and he just growls and tells her to back off) or if I'm too tired to play with her (I've been sick with an awful cold for 2 months) she'll grab her teddy bear and go at it. lol The stupid storm/rain in Vancouver right now doesn't help either!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Our spayed female humps our unspayed female when they get real wound up excited, outside playing. I feel like its a dominance thing, but there may be a variety of reasons why they do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts