Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet pooch was spayed yesterday and I'm getting a bit ansy about her incision. I know it's only the 2nd day but it appears a bit reddened to me and the incision looks different than most of the images I see. It's pretty big and the incision is "lumpy?" I'm wondering if you all think this is a normal incision and if looks to be getting infected. I'm asking because if it does continue to worsen in redness I will take her back to the vet BUT I'm not sure whether to take her back to the same vet or if I should take her to a different one.... Any opinions are appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! It's normal for the incision to become red and swollen after the spaying procedure. I would be worried if there was excessive drainage (does it drip when she's standing up?) or if it's bleeding a lot. I'm no vet, but as a dog owner for most of my life (and as someone who's been around a lot of dogs), I've seen spay incisions come in all shapes and sizes, some cleaner looking than others. If you're worried, ask your vet if you can email a picture to the office (make sure to get the incision from all angles to show swelling). But if you're suspicious, find a highly rated vet on Yelp and call around and ask for advice. However, if you've been taking your dog to the same vet for a while and he or she has solid credentials, I'm sure everything is fine. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
442 Posts
They can get infected
I adopted a dog once who had been recently spayed and her incision was infected
If you are worried, I would take her back to the same vet for a start
Hope she's ok!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Dang, would have it killed the vet to use a few more stitches? I don't think it looks infected but you're going to want to watch it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Some swelling is common/normal with external sutures... I do not think there are too few sutures there, but perhaps sewn a bit too tight not making allowances for the swelling that usually occurs, which makes the incision look bumpy, uneven and sometimes even a bit uncomfortable... but looks intact and uninfected right now. Swelling will usually go down eventually (sometimes only after sutures removed). Also looks like some glue was used, too, or else the photo is showing shininess from weird lighting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts