Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Our 8-month jack russell mix was spayed one week ago today. We have done a good job of keeping her way from the incision (instead of the typica e-collar that she would have shred to pieces, she wore a surgical onesie that prevented her from reaching the surgery location), and have attempted to put triple antibiotic ointment on to reduce redness and swelling. However, the incision still seems like it's slightly tender to the touch and more red than I expected it to be for one week out. While she has no interest in licking/biting at her incision, she has been continuously licking her vulva area?no sign of discharge as far I've seen though. Her eating, sleeping and bathroom habits have been normal, but I'm still a little concerned about the coloring of her wound. Am I just being paranoid (which could be very likely...she's my first and only fur baby aside from the pets I grew up with so I tend to be overly cautious with her health), or is this something we should consult the vet about? They were difficult to get, but I managed to snap a few photos of the incision area and have attached for reference.
Thanks in advance for the input!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It's been a long time since I've had a female that I had to spay...most of them I adopted and that was already taken care of.

I did, though have 4 pets, 3 dogs and a cat, who were spayed and I also kind of remember a bit of redness like that.

My cat, in fact, ripped her outside stitches, but thankfully not the muscle ones, so she had to go get sewed back up, but there was never an infection.

Call your vet and ask questions to be sure, maybe they have ways of looking at emailed photos so you don't have to make a trip in. But I would think that as long as there's no puss, extra heat around that area, or spidering of the redness out from the wound, that the incision is ok. You can also check you dog's gums...which should be a nice pink. Grey gums can indicate a dog is stressed, or sick, also loss of appitite can indicate a dog isn't feeling well.

Again, when in doubt, talk with your vet. It's better to call and be overly concerned than to hesitate because you feel embarrassed about fussing over your pet only to find out your first instincts were right.

Stormy

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Looks good, but i'd go in, anyway.

There should be no FEE for a post-spay exam, just to ensure that things are healing nicely. :thumbsup:

I don't see anything concerning, but i can't get hands-on, & that she's a bit tender is a perfectly valid reason to take her in, ASAP.

Has she been on reduced activity? -
on leash for all trips outside, NO run / wrestle / chase with other dogs, no jumping-up on the sofa, etc?
That is generally advised for at least 7 to 10-days, post-spay; crate her indoors when U are not home, so she doesn't hop up on the bed, sofa, her fave chair,
etc.

- terry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts