Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sparky's story:
I have a black & white havanese named Bibble. She's very barky and loves to run after people and bark at their dogs.
We were at the beach one day and she ran after this guy's Golden Retriever. My mom couldn't catch her and the guy caught her for us & gave her to us. My mom asked the guy about his dog and after a while they started talking about the rescue his wife worked with. My mom suggested he come talk to me, the dog lover of the family, and the two of them walked up the beach. After we talked for a bit, he told us about a dog who needed a home. He told us his name was Sparky, he was 6 years old, and he was a maltese. He explained that his owner was old and dying, and couldn't even feed him anymore. He wasn't in a shelter yet, still living with this old lady, who could only so occasionally get poeple to help her with him. We decided to take a look at him, and the man told us he'd have his wife bring the dog over during the week. Turns out, they lived right near us, so we gave them our address and that Monday, they came around 6. He was really skinny and absolutely terrified. He hadn't ever been anywhere but his old apartment, had never been outside, and had never been around another dog. The women told me not to pick him up because he was scared- he had also never been lifted off the ground before. I tried to pick him up once or twice, and he shook like crazy.
I couldn't say no, but it wasn't until later that night I realized what I was dealing with. This dog has had many, many behavioral problems and health problems- we recieved him with a positive lime disease test, an eye infection, and unnuteured. About two weeks after we got him, they told us he was actually 7, not 6, and about to turn 8.
After a while, Sparky grew attatched to me and began to fallow me everywhere and lick me obsessivly- but things weren't easier. The licking was plain annoying, and he never ate without me sitting next to him. While I was out, he would hide under the bed and shiver, biting anyone who attempted to get him out.
He got over both of these problems, but still bites sometimes and eats a lot of stuff he shouldn't be eating. If we try to take it- he bites us.
He's gotten a lot better, though, I've even done a little agility training with him.
Definately taught me to never give up- I wanted to give him away in the beggining but he's my best friend now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a wonderful story! I'm so happy you rescued him. He really must love and trust you to follow you around all the time.
I'd really like to see some pics of him doing agility training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'll get some in the future. =]
We just jump over whatever's there- bushes, fences, the works.

Thanks, btw. I've actually had offers from people that want to "take him off our hands".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts