Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit worried (more than a bit really) about our 7.5 month old husky/shepherd [not for sure on the breed as our family rescued her, we adopted her] girl Sophie and her continuing urinary problems.
She has been to the vet at least three times for this, Vaginal Infusion each time with Animax/Quadritop ointment and on antibiotics twice+ between Cephalexin and Pregnisolone,

My question is does anyone have experience with these breeds or either breed, or even urinary problems and have any advice on where we could go from here such as what to check for, if this could be a larger issue the vet needs to look into? I suppose I'm frustrated that every trip we make to the vet results in a "Vaginal Infusion" with pup either diagnosed having UTI or Vaginitis and a script for antibiotic for up to two weeks but she's just a pup and this is several diagnosis over a few months which is why I am getting worried and I voiced my concern about this of our pup to the vet on the second trip but was ignored.

Thank you kindly for your help and suggestions,
Meg

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Can you give more information as to exactly what she is doing/what you are seeing? Peeing a lot? Dribbling urine? Blood? How frequently? Etc...

Essentially, can you start from the beginning...

·
Banned
795 Posts
I'm a bit worried (more than a bit really) about our 7.5 month old husky/shepherd [not for sure on the breed as our family rescued her, we adopted her] girl Sophie and her continuing urinary problems.
She has been to the vet at least three times for this, Vaginal Infusion each time with Animax/Quadritop ointment and on antibiotics twice+ between Cephalexin and Pregnisolone,

My question is does anyone have experience with these breeds or either breed, or even urinary problems and have any advice on where we could go from here such as what to check for, if this could be a larger issue the vet needs to look into? I suppose I'm frustrated that every trip we make to the vet results in a "Vaginal Infusion" with pup either diagnosed having UTI or Vaginitis and a script for antibiotic for up to two weeks but she's just a pup and this is several diagnosis over a few months which is why I am getting worried and I voiced my concern about this of our pup to the vet on the second trip but was ignored.

Thank you kindly for your help and suggestions,
Meg
You should have your dogs kidneys x rays to see if your dog has a tumor.
I had a Standard Poodle that was 11 years old and he started peeing a lot,
I had his urine tested and nothing showed up then my poor dog started to vomit right after eating, it turned out he had cancer in his kidneys and I had to put my beloved hearing dogs to sleep as the the caner was too advances. I hope you will find out what wrong with your puppy,if your vet can't find what wrong you may want to take your puppy to a hospital for more testing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can you give more information as to exactly what she is doing/what you are seeing? Peeing a lot? Dribbling urine? Blood? How frequently? Etc...

Essentially, can you start from the beginning...
Holly,
I feel silly for not adding more details like this. I will grab her vet details and paperwork to add her dates that she was seen so I can tell you how often and how long in between this has been occurring. I was in a hurry earlier to even explain our situation (fiance and I care for so technically she is ours even though she is a "family" dog).

A few months back Soph started having more frequent urination and I believe what triggered us to something wasn't "right" was an accident or pee in her crate at night which she had never done in her crate at night. She would always go to bed at least 8 hours fine, go straight out to pee and be okay. I think her urine this check (pee in tuna can test like they tried, I think they also tried a bladder "tap" but eventually did the tuna can) came back with some blood in it and this was the time they found she had vaginitis so they gave her the cream. She had frequency then and at third trip.
The next trip to the vet I believe they checked her collecting the pee from the floor (she peed twice on the floor, kept squatting so bad). and she had a very bad UTI with "crystals" so they gave her an antibiotics or steroid can't remember which we've been through a lot honestly for just this issue and I believe tramidol (like humans but for dogs).
The last visit, and worst to date in terms of symptoms (not anything else but why I'm worrying) we had to carry her to the vehicle so she would not pee, because as soon as that tail hits grass she pees. Vet checked her pee via tuna can method (sorry, that's the only way I know how to describe it!) and so they prescribed the antibiotic just in case because pee wasn't clear. They gave a vaginial infusion again I believe as doc saved her baggie of medicine to remind, but not sure if it was vaginal infection or UTI.

Her appetite and water intake is normal, no vomiting *crosses fingers*.
This last time she had an accident in her crate around 9 we both woke to "tinkling" sound. Her urine had no blood in the collection we cleaned up. The only thing her pee smelt really..funny. If I had to describe it, it smelt like chicken. (She doesn't eat people food, had a natural rawhide night before.)
I'm very concerned because we've had many trips and I've asked could this be a larger issue, also concerned the dog can become immune to antibiotics if on them for prolonged amount of time.
I'm definitely going to write down about x-ray, thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are many problems that can affect a dog's lower urinary system.Incontinence bladder stones or crystals in the urine, bacterial infections, cancer,trauma or even obstruction of the urethra, the tube that allows urine to pass from the bladder to the outside of the body, can occur.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Is she spayed yet?

To me it sounds like chronic urinary tract infections (especially with the urine smelling bad... ). In a young dog like that, chronic urinary tract infections could be due to something called a "hooded/recessed vulva". Honestly, all your vet needs to do is a thorough exam of her vulva to determine whether or not it is recessed. If it IS recessed and she's not spayed already, I'd recommend letting her go through her first heat cycle before spaying her to see if the hormones of the heat fix her vulva conformation. If it doesn't work, there is a surgery to fix the vulva but there is only a 50/50 chance it will stop the UTIs. My friends dog had UTIs all of the time and hasn't had one since the surgery.

If she is actually urinating, then there is not an obstruction of anything. The crystals that were seen are probably secondary to the urinary tract infections.

Since she is ACTIVELY peeing, then it is probably not urinary incontinence and a possible ectopic ureter. If she were just dribbling pee on her bed as she slept, this would be on the top of my list.

I'm not sure where your vet is coming up with vaginitis for this... ?

Your vet really needs to do the "bladder tap" to get a sterile sample of her urine to submit it for culture to see what is really going on-- infection or not. The tuna can method can give a lot of false results if not interpreted appropriately. At this point you may also want to have her bloodwork checked to see if she has any systemic infection and how her kidneys are functioning. Next step would be an abdominal ultrasound to make sure she doesn't have a kidney infection or anything wrong with the wall of her bladder.

The top thing on my list would be chronic urinary tract infections due to a recessed/hooded vulva in a pup that age.

Hope that helps a bit!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is she spayed yet?

To me it sounds like chronic urinary tract infections (especially with the urine smelling bad... ). In a young dog like that, chronic urinary tract infections could be due to something called a "hooded/recessed vulva". Honestly, all your vet needs to do is a thorough exam of her vulva to determine whether or not it is recessed. If it IS recessed and she's not spayed already, I'd recommend letting her go through her first heat cycle before spaying her to see if the hormones of the heat fix her vulva conformation. If it doesn't work, there is a surgery to fix the vulva but there is only a 50/50 chance it will stop the UTIs. My friends dog had UTIs all of the time and hasn't had one since the surgery.

If she is actually urinating, then there is not an obstruction of anything. The crystals that were seen are probably secondary to the urinary tract infections.

Since she is ACTIVELY peeing, then it is probably not urinary incontinence and a possible ectopic ureter. If she were just dribbling pee on her bed as she slept, this would be on the top of my list.

I'm not sure where your vet is coming up with vaginitis for this... ?

Your vet really needs to do the "bladder tap" to get a sterile sample of her urine to submit it for culture to see what is really going on-- infection or not. The tuna can method can give a lot of false results if not interpreted appropriately. At this point you may also want to have her bloodwork checked to see if she has any systemic infection and how her kidneys are functioning. Next step would be an abdominal ultrasound to make sure she doesn't have a kidney infection or anything wrong with the wall of her bladder.

The top thing on my list would be chronic urinary tract infections due to a recessed/hooded vulva in a pup that age.

Hope that helps a bit!
Holly,
Your reply really does help! I will most certainly inquire about a bladder tap and blood work next vet trip. She is not spayed yet until we can save a little more to have this surgery. We definitely want to spay her.

She will have to go into her first heat before the spay and we are waiting for that; I asked the vet if she was in heat as I have seen what I believe is blood around where she pees from but the vet said no. I did ask about some blood around where she pees from and he ignored me each time I asked the past two trips so I left it alone. I asked if we needed to wipe her with something like a baby wipe but he said we shouldn't have to.

Since we are waiting to see if she is in her first heat, could you give any advice on what signs to look for as she is going into heat? I read about tail to the side, discharge bloody then clear but this is our first female dog so honestly I'm a bit clueless on this part.
Thank you!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
The problem is that a dog's first heat cycle is often silent and is therefore missed. Others aren't-- Holly unfortunately went through a heat cycle much to my dismay and it was an utter disaster. Blood like a murder scene. More subtle signs would be enlargement of her vulva, development of her mammary glands etc. Again, may be hard to tell the first heat cycle. If she gets to be over a year old and you haven't seen a heat, odds are you've missed it so I'd go ahead and spay her. She does NOT have to have a visible heat for you to spay her. It is often better for dogs to be spayed before their first heat cycle (but in your situation, if I am correct about her issue, it would be more beneficial to wait a cycle... )

Reproduction, The Heat Cycle, Signs of Heat This link has some good photos of vulva in heat and not in heat.

Blood around her vulva could be from a heat cycle or could be from a urinary tract infection. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference but could speculate it's a heat cycle if the vulva is enlarged.

If your vet is constantly ignoring your questions, you may either want to see a different associate at that practice or find a new vet altogether...

·
Banned
795 Posts
Holly,
I feel silly for not adding more details like this. I will grab her vet details and paperwork to add her dates that she was seen so I can tell you how often and how long in between this has been occurring. I was in a hurry earlier to even explain our situation (fiance and I care for so technically she is ours even though she is a "family" dog).

A few months back Soph started having more frequent urination and I believe what triggered us to something wasn't "right" was an accident or pee in her crate at night which she had never done in her crate at night. She would always go to bed at least 8 hours fine, go straight out to pee and be okay. I think her urine this check (pee in tuna can test like they tried, I think they also tried a bladder "tap" but eventually did the tuna can) came back with some blood in it and this was the time they found she had vaginitis so they gave her the cream. She had frequency then and at third trip.
The next trip to the vet I believe they checked her collecting the pee from the floor (she peed twice on the floor, kept squatting so bad). and she had a very bad UTI with "crystals" so they gave her an antibiotics or steroid can't remember which we've been through a lot honestly for just this issue and I believe tramidol (like humans but for dogs).
The last visit, and worst to date in terms of symptoms (not anything else but why I'm worrying) we had to carry her to the vehicle so she would not pee, because as soon as that tail hits grass she pees. Vet checked her pee via tuna can method (sorry, that's the only way I know how to describe it!) and so they prescribed the antibiotic just in case because pee wasn't clear. They gave a vaginial infusion again I believe as doc saved her baggie of medicine to remind, but not sure if it was vaginal infection or UTI.

Her appetite and water intake is normal, no vomiting *crosses fingers*.
This last time she had an accident in her crate around 9 we both woke to "tinkling" sound. Her urine had no blood in the collection we cleaned up. The only thing her pee smelt really..funny. If I had to describe it, it smelt like chicken. (She doesn't eat people food, had a natural rawhide night before.)
I'm very concerned because we've had many trips and I've asked could this be a larger issue, also concerned the dog can become immune to antibiotics if on them for prolonged amount of time.
I'm definitely going to write down about x-ray, thank you!
See about a MRI scan too , my dog had one and that how I know he had cancer. The biopsy result was not good . :( I miss my dog sooo much!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wildcatm give your doggie yoghurt, Our persian cat who we had to pts last year due to kidney failure (she was 13) she had a problem where her vulva was misshapen and it kept collecting feaces which would cause UTI. Somebody told us to feed the cat yoghurt. So we started to feed her yoghurt, just once or twice a week and we rarely had a problem after that.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Wildcatm give your doggie yoghurt, Our persian cat who we had to pts last year due to kidney failure (she was 13) she had a problem where her vulva was misshapen and it kept collecting feaces which would cause UTI. Somebody told us to feed the cat yoghurt. So we started to feed her yoghurt, just once or twice a week and we rarely had a problem after that.
Dogs can eat cranberries and they're good for urine affection with people. I would not give a dog canned cranberry as it has a lot of sugar. I wonder if
unsweetened cranberry juice would be OK ? I would check with your vet first. I brought my dog a treat that had cranberries in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts