Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I will be getting a Frenchie puppy sometime this month and have been talking to the breeder. Unfotunately, the breeder lives in a different city so we have only been updated via videos and photos. We're from a city where pedigree breeds are uncommon with the exception for huskies and poodles. Any input would be helpful! C:

Just some details regarding the puppy, DOB: 24/12/2019. Male.
The puppy is supposedly around 5 weeks old right now but it look very very tiny (his looks like yoda hahah) compared to those I have seen online. We were wondering if he might be the runt of the litter but the breeder assured us that they're all the same size. Maybe we're just being too paranoid but we just want to make sure the puppy is going to be halthy and we are well prepared. What are the right questions to ask as well? (This is also the breeder;s first Frenchie litter. We found out a little later that we have been speaking to the breeder's partner and not hte breeder himself) Will attach videos under this thread. Thanks all 馃グ馃グ

Super Moderator
With French Bulldogs you have to be careful for two reasons. One is that, as with any popular breed, they are targeted by puppy farmers (puppy mills). This is a UK site but has helpful information .

The other concern with Frenchies is the health problems they can have. This page tells you more, so you can ask the breeder the right questions.

Registered
Im not an expert on bull breeds so I couldnt tell if that look is normal for a pup of that age.
My first concern would be health. They say this is their first litter of frenchies.. Does that mean they normally breed some other dogs? I would want to see health papers for the dam and sire as well as seeing the actual dogs as proof that these are not puppy mill dogs. Is there a way to check the sellers history? are they registerd as breeders for any breed of dog? Or are they registered as traders in dogs , this would tell you that they dont actually breed them but might be buying them in..
Something that strikes me in those videos is the fact that the pup is never in any natural surroundings its being held in a way that prevents any idea of the background and is never seen interacting with the mother or other pups which to me is a worry.

Listen to you gut instinct, if you have any doubt DONT do it. This dog is going to be with you for the coming 10-15 years you need to be sure you are doing the right thing and thats not just the health of the pup but the way in which the mother dog was treated and her future..

Registered
I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking back to the yorkie pups we had when I was a child. This Frenchie seems very wobbly and struggling to hold its head up. Pups used to go to their new homes at just a week older and I'd expect them to be running around and playing (though still stumbing over a lot). You don't even see this one moving naturally around in the vid... why not? I'd want to see vids of it with its mum, and interacting with its siblings.

It's possible that this is normal for Frenchies - I don't know. But if it is, I'd see that as a reason to avoid Frenchies in general.

Just to stress again, I'm not an expert by an means so if someone with more experience contradicts me, ignore what I say!

Super Moderator
I'm sorry, but this video is supposed to be of a 5-week-old puppy? Are you kidding me? This poor little guy can't even sit up by himself. You need to walk away. By buying this puppy, all you would be doing is supporting a really terrible puppy mill. Just awful.

Please read these threads:

Purchasing this puppy would be a terrible decision.

Registered
If that is a 5 week old puppy you should back out. We got our English Bulldog (I know, not the same but related) at 8 weeks old and she was running around, chunky, normal looking puppy. At 5 weeks your puppy should be much larger than that and, as was mentioned before, should be able to lift its head up and move. If that is really 5 weeks old that puppy is not in good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts