Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't think of a better way to test a dogs training & temperament than taking them on along on holiday. He joined us at the beach, in the tent, motel, hotel, the wilds of the north, the city streets of Kingston, and even came along to watch military exercises (that was a surprise to all of us).

For background, Sonics from the Caribbean Islands, a street bred dog, free-range 'pet'.
He came to us shy, skittish, did not know how to play. Had to teach him how to play with a human (tug & frisbee). He was afraid of lots thing, including treats and hands and flappy things.

But now he has survived and thrived camping out at windy, stormy, Agawa Bay, did not show undue fear when a thunderstorm boomed and raged overhead (amazing, because Lake Superior throws some scary weather), settled in to sleep at a campsite (oastler lake) that was WAY too close to a busy railway, and did just fine when we walked into the Royal Military College Reunion Games day (running, screaming people).

Well, here he is playing tug at the beach--a milestone! First time playing outside of our front yard.

Sonic plays tug at the beach
https://youtu.be/nEKpCNs7lXU

Sonic & the big wave

Sonic, beach bum

Sonic on the rocks

Wolfe Tango (military games-war-paint, costumes, yelling, screaming barbarian hordes--& fun)

Sonic still going strong after seven hours of a city walking tour, traffic, people, dogs, geese, & a fighter jet taking off directly overhead

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks very much like a collie and a happy one at that.
Yep, thanks. Pretty much acts very much like a collie too, except off-leash
in the woods, where 'terrier' comes to the fore (the first dogs in the Caribbean would have been 'rat-dogs' brought over for vermin control).

·
Banned
283 Posts
in the woods, where 'terrier' comes to the fore (the first dogs in the Caribbean would have been 'rat-dogs' brought over for vermin control).
Thank you for that insight. You were lucky that you got a good dog - and probably he was too in that you made him such a good dog.

Ours is a colie and a rescue but he is off the lead/leash except when we have to cross a road and that's precautionary. He too, dives into the woods looking for squirrels. But we see him looking to make sure he knows where we are.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Just a thought for you - and anyone else reading this. I think he his his name, Sonic, on his tag. We were advised against that. If for any reason he escapes, someone can call him by name and he may go with them.

Ours has our name and telephone number. And is microchipped.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good in the video! Sonic was having a lot of fun!
Thanks. He's now playing and training away from home on his home turf (nearby parkette), which is awesome progress.

And hey, if you have any more video's of your awesome dog, feel free to pm me, and post it, so we all can get a look see.

How's it going?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Artdog,

At :52 into the video when Sonic made the fetch, I saw your dog belly out toward the person walking down the shoreline and make a decision which looked easy for Sonic because of your great timing. I'm probably incorrect but the person did capture your dog's attention briefly and offered a choice to the dog: Go check out the human ( distraction ) or remain engaged with you. Your verbal excitement at the perfect time, kept Sonic's engagement on you.

It's great to see the power of tug and you play the game wonderfully with Sonic. You also use the long line well.

The two of you are a team.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Artdog,

At :52 into the video when Sonic made the fetch, I saw your dog belly out toward the person walking down the shoreline and make a decision which looked easy for Sonic because of your great timing. I'm probably incorrect but the person did capture your dog's attention briefly and offered a choice to the dog: Go check out the human ( distraction ) or remain engaged with you. Your verbal excitement at the perfect time, kept Sonic's engagement on you.

It's great to see the power of tug and you play the game wonderfully with Sonic. You also use the long line well.

The two of you are a team.

Wow, thanks. And you are VERY observant. Yes, indeed, he did 'notice' that person. And in strange places away from home, I take those things very seriously (having had gsd's forever, this becomes instinct), so, yep.

Using the long line there, as it was a campground, near a hwy, and therefore one of those risky places where I take extra care.

Thanks zillions...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks. He's now playing and training away from home on his home turf (nearby parkette), which is awesome progress.

And hey, if you have any more video's of your awesome dog, feel free to pm me, and post it, so we all can get a look see.

How's it going?
It is so exciting to see Sonic's progress! You've been working so hard with him, he is really coming along! Great job! :thumbsup:

Not a whole lot happening on our end, just training training and more training :D

I am more of a lurker on this forum and don't sign in a lot, just saw your reply recently. I will start a post with videos and tag you in it :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. So much good is happening here. Starting with a shut down dog and now having him push at me for more training is exciting.
Now off to see what you've been up to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts