Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting Echo I've been constantly comparing her to my other dog, Nevy. I was getting worried because Nevy knew more commands/tricks than Echo did at her age. Nevy picked up on focused heeling so much quicker. Nevy figured out her puzzle toys a lot faster.

The majority of Echo's training has been socializing. She has already had negative experiences with large, reactive dogs and she was a little shy to begin with. I was feeling like I was a slacker because Echo didn't know a variety of tricks or obedience commands already.

I know it's common sense, but it dawned on me a couple of days ago: Nevy and Echo are not the same dog. They each have different strengths and weaknesses, and varying training needs. So what if she needs LAT training and Nevy never did? The goal is to have a happy, well adjusted dog. The heeling and tricks and retrieving will come with time.

I've been training myself to recognize the positives in each dog, and adjust my training strategies for each. What works for Nevy may not for Echo. And that's okay.

Owning two dogs with very different personalities has challenged me as a trainer, but I'm beginning to recognize the learning opportunity and feel excited about it. :)

Have you ever been your worst enemy when it comes to training? What have been your personal challenges as a handler?

Off leash heeling and group sit-stay pics just because. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels like this! I was worried I was being too hard on Echo- and that maybe I wasn't bonding with her like I did Nevy. But I think it's part of human nature to compare and contrast things.

Thanks so much for sharing all of your experiences. <3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.