Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Absolutely! I am my own worst enemy in MANY different aspects of training.

When Roxie was a baby I had a LOT more time to train her. I was working as a trainer and she was coming with me to work at least 3 times a week from pretty much the day I found her at 7-8 weeks old til I quit when she was 1 year and a half. Also she went through some things like dogs running up into her face constantly that have stuck with her to this day. I feel like I expect a lot out of her and sometimes have to remind myself that I don't work with her 1 on 1 as much as I use to or should. I can't expect her to be on point like she was back then. Then in agility I have to teach myself to get out of my own way. I had an ah ha moment one class where I realized my attitude was what was bringing BOTH of us down. If I don't make it positive for both of us, not only will I get down on myself and blow things that I know, but so will Roxie. That moment came after a class that I ended in tears because of how far she had regressed. I was ready to throw in the towel. I'm SO glad I didn't!

Forbes is a COMPLETELY different dog then Roxie. He WANTS to please. He is a sponge. But he is also very emotional, and if I don't keep it upbeat, he becomes defeated FAST. I really wish I had more time (and money for classes at this point) as I feel like this dog could do ANYTHING.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.