Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I wonder where my brain has gone. So here is what had happened today. Hubby and I went to wash our vehicle and run to the store. We left kuma at home and when I came back.... Both hubby and I forgot to put up the trash.... Yep u guessed it. He ate the 5 chicken leg bones we had eaten for dinner..... And I came home and kuma knew we were a bit upset, especially hubby and I was for a split minute too and I realized it was our fault not kuma's fault.

This is what I captured after cleaning the mess he made. I don't know if it was kuma being guilty or if he was thinking let me go to my bed and punish myself.

Oh. We did not tell or stomp our feet or anything physical so no worries.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Poor Kuma!

Keep a good eye on him for the next few days to make sure everything passes through him.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think he will be fine. I believe he was raised on human food because his breath still reaks, he refuses to eat his kibble until after everyone is sleeping then when he sees no one gives him food he then eats his kibble. ( I put kibble out yesterday morning and he never touched it yet. But I will keep an eye on him anyways.

I mean he ate a whole bunch of raw fat and survived. I think he is lucky because his stomach is used to human food?

I think he got full eating those bones. He hasn't changed yet but its a good idea to keep an eye on him. Several days huh? Anyways. Damn me. Tee hee hee

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Poor Kuma. Hope everything passes without a problem. I'm assuming you're speaking tongue in cheek as far as him feeling guilty or punishing himself.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure I understand tongue and cheeks? He greeted us the usual way of standing on his hind legs and his front paws on our legs. But when I gasped and told my hubby he got into the trash, it was like he knew because he quickly went down on all fours and slowly walked to the room with his tail tucked and head held down. After cleaning the mess and realizing its our fault for forgetting to put up the trash I walked in to see him sitting in his bed, facing the wall like a child sitting in the corner and he quickly lied down when I calmly talked to him about how it was our fault not his and he did nothing wrong...

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
His reaction was in reaction to you and your husband being upset. Dogs don't feel guilt and they don't punish themselves. Dogs are pretty sensitive to our tone and body language. They can easily tell when we're upset with them. They offer appeasing behaviors. He greeted you normally because to him, he did nothing wrong and only went to his bed to hide when you and your husband demonstrated you were upset. Being upset is perfectly normal in those circumstances and I'm not chastising you.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah, okay. Yeah, that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Dogs are actually better than humans at interpreting human body language and facial expressions.

"Tongue in cheek" means saying something in a joking way. Like showing a picture of my dog looking happy and proud and describing him as being clearly guilty.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Dogs are actually better than humans at interpreting human body language and facial expressions.

"Tongue in cheek" means saying something in a joking way. Like showing a picture of my dog looking happy and proud and describing him as being clearly guilty.
So true. It freaks me out a bit how well Ella can read people.. including me.

Once - about a year ago - I read a story about how some woman`s dog went crazy and attacked her out of blue and I got paranoid for a moment and started thinking that what if Ella does that ... I felt fear (for a short moment). And I was just standing in kitchen petting her and got these stupid thoughts running through my head, got tense and afraid, stopped petting her ... and she GROWLED at me.

Obviously she picked up on all the tension I felt towards her.

Lol.

I got over it quickly and she hasn't done it again.

She also picks up when someone is angry and holding it back - and she will start barking loudly at the person. She picks up when people are afraid etc. She is an excellent thug/thief radar ... I think she`d be a good service dog in prisons/borders :p

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ah OK. Yeah he's been fine. He had no problem passing the cooked bones he got into. Man he has a tough stomach.

I think ur right. I've been so stressed lately that kuma has been acting afraid of me. When I see that, I start to act all baby talk and petting and even getting him to play with me by pestering his ears while saying in a baby voice. Who's a good doggy who's a good boy, who's the big guy in the house. Then everything is fine and he's over the drama. ( I also find I am feeling much better too.)

Other then that...oh he got into rotten fish he found when we were out in the back of the tundra and decided to put on the pirfume of the rotten fish. He wreaked and he got a bath the moment we got home. Wow.

Oh yeah, when we are settling down for sleep, kuma will just do a creepy stare at me. I mean he won't blink his hes eyes and just lay there staring. It creeps me out and he's been doing it since we first got him.

Anyone else's dog just stare at you when you are both relaxing?

Reactions: Rain
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.