Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Walks in the last few months have become uninjoyable. Between his freaking over car truck and motorbike noises and freaking over smells. He now freaks if he smells a the faintest smell of barbeque cooking in a distance. Unfortunately were stuck living where we are. Hes always been a very sensitive dog and can smell a bad person from a distace or something bad that has happened on the ground. But the cars and barbeque ect are new. Last night he heard a faint train noise and freaked for the next few hrs a storm was coming. He freaks if it sprinkles rain. Todays walk he freaked on and off when he could smell something. And ive got a huge pram in tow all the time. He dosnt sleep much during the night now. Yes ive told the stupid vet when i went the other week. He made it clear he did not care. I think he had a night terror last night he suddenly was like he was running mega speed then jolted awake in shock then went back to sleep. I do have very regular night terrors which would clearly affect him. Hes been becoming dangerous around my cat in the last few months only at night time. I was thinking about getting a script from my gp for melatonin for him but i was reading a common side affect is headaches which he already gets so i dont want to make that worse. I will never use valium as it is extremely dangerous. Ive used adaptil spray for thunder and didnt help. Cbd is not an option. Having autism, ptsd, ocd, depression and anxiety i do always wonder if its me that caused it. I always wonder what hes life wouldve been like if we never met. Its just us 2 so theres no one to ever share the emotional burdens

·
Registered
573 Posts
and breathe,,,, its getting to most people. and lots of dogs.

Why is cbd not an option? we use it to help Murphys anxiety and it works quite well...
Do you need to go on walks? do you have a space that you can use instead and try brain training games or make your own mini activity area?

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
You haven't caused this. You are doing your best, it's all any of us can do.

I would change vet though (maybe not now, obviously, but when you can). I get what you are saying about valium but there are other medications like prozac that can take the edge off his anxiety without making him into a zombie.

And for now, be aware that the stress hormone cortisol can stay in the body for days before it dissipates. During that time, any new stressors will top it up faster than if there was none in his system - a bit like a bath slowly draining away but with the tap being turned on from time to time. At some stage it's going to overflow. And that goes for you too, not just your dog.

So can you try to have a couple of really quiet calm days to let you both come down a bit?

Oh, and it's not just the two of you to share the emotional burdens - we may be at the other side of the world but we are here for you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and breathe,,,, its getting to most people. and lots of dogs.

Why is cbd not an option? we use it to help Murphys anxiety and it works quite well...
Do you need to go on walks? do you have a space that you can use instead and try brain training games or make your own mini activity area?
We live in a townhouse and have a courtyard. Cbd is not and option because in australia its still illegal unless only under extremely stict circumstances. I illegaly purchased it yrs ago from a canine holistic centre who was selling it. I paid over $1000 for 3 bottles for his pain and it did nothing. Realisticly she most likely lied about it being a real product.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You haven't caused this. You are doing your best, it's all any of us can do.

I would change vet though (maybe not now, obviously, but when you can). I get what you are saying about valium but there are other medications like prozac that can take the edge off his anxiety without making him into a zombie.

And for now, be aware that the stress hormone cortisol can stay in the body for days before it dissipates. During that time, any new stressors will top it up faster than if there was none in his system - a bit like a bath slowly draining away but with the tap being turned on from time to time. At some stage it's going to overflow. And that goes for you too, not just your dog.

So can you try to have a couple of really quiet calm days to let you both come down a bit?

Oh, and it's not just the two of you to share the emotional burdens - we may be at the other side of the world but we are here for you.
I cannot stress enough how many different vets ive seen over the yrs. Ive been put on a black list so there are no vets that like me. Because of my autism i tell it like it is and if i disagree with them then i politely will. They've been caught out in so many malpractice incidences with me and they know i out them when there caught. I need to stress i have never ever been abusive and have always paid every bill upfront.
Is it wrong to not walk him for a day or 3? Ive never not taken him out. He hangs to go out at the start. Weve had several neighbour changes next door in the last 2 yrs. Theres also been dog changes in the last yr. One dog died and theres a new puppy. Theres 2 bulldogs and a pit bull also. The neighbours next door moved in about 6 months ago. They fight scream bang bash and so on.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just
20200501_194141.jpg
Just took this photo now. He was laying down and jumped up ran to the door sniffing and came back with his tail between his legs. Hes pacing back and forth smelling the air scared.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The reason i wont use valium on him is because i had a rare sideaffect which sent me psychotic and suicidal and landed in hospital all from a very small dose. Ill try my gp and see if he'll script me prozac for him. He knows jesse cause i use to take him in there with me. If he wont then ill try a differet vet.

·
Registered
573 Posts
don't forget their hearing and sense of smell is far better than ours so they noticed things that we might not .Last week Murphy started howling we had no idea what it was, then we saw on our local Facebook group that there been a fire a couple of streets away he obviously could smell the smoke even though we couldn't.

it's a pity about the CBD oil being illegal in Australia but if that's the way it is that's the way it is. maybe you're right about some Prozac just something to take the edge off so that you can actually begin to have a little training to get him used to things again and calmly go forward.

is there any chance you could talk to your neighbours about their behaviour? I know this is difficult I've got one next door and believe me the more I talk to her the more she stamps and the more she slams doors. But it might be worth a try.
I know everyone thinks that dogs need to go out three times a day and in a perfect world with a perfect dog yes this is a great idea but if the outside world actually traumatises them then why? why not just do what you need to do so that he has enough exercise or at least can go to the toilet and let him calm down for a couple of days then try a small walks maybe walked different times when it's quieter and build up gently ...as has been mentioned we are here and some of us do know what it's like trying to deal with a difficult dog I had one that was so shocked he would literally freeze when outside the only advantage being that he only weighed about 20 pounds so I could actually carry him home if necessary.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wont take him for a wak for a few days.
He can be realy enjoying a walk and suddenly freak at any given moment. He genuinley wants to go out. There is never any forcing. He is mega happy when we first leave. He goes on his high pitch bark howling rampage, tail wagging madly, eyes gleaming in delight.
Theres been so many of our regular walking spots in the last 6 months that have been blocked due to construction.
We live i public housing. I dont know what its called in other countries. There have been non stop complaints from other neighbours. They got a pitbull type dog about 6 weeks ago. Im terrified of the thing.
I know im not a suitable owner im the first to admit that but he chose me. He isnt a dog hes an angel.

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
You are having a bad day, but you aren't a terrible owner. I think it's evening in Australia right now, yes? Can you get an early night and a good sleep? I always find everything seems clearer after that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You are doing a great job considering everything you're struggling with.

I have a friend who has a severely traumatised rescue dog (more or less dumped on her). After about 3 years, she still hasn't been able to get a collar on him (he's not aggressive, just terrified), so he has never left her tiny house and garden. Obviously it's not ideal, but it's the best for him, and he is reasonably content and feels safe. This is an extreme case - this dog probably has severe PTSD or similar - but it goes to show that sometimes a dog is better off without walks, or only very short ones.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are having a bad day, but you aren't a terrible owner. I think it's evening in Australia right now, yes? Can you get an early night and a good sleep? I always find everything seems clearer after that.
Its 9.30 i dont go to bed till about 2.am. Im wide awake as can be at the moment. Sleep is not something i wake up refreshed from. Between night terrors and very vivid dreams and waking up constantly im very groggy in the morning.
Thankyou both for your kind support. I do get upset that i cant give him ideal surroundings. I daydream of opening the door with an open field in front of us and him being offlead.
When he has a too many stress or pain moments in a row it becomes to much for me emotionly just like you mentioned about trigger stacking. I come crashing down wondering if he's telling me hes tired if you get my drift. Ill stay home a few days and keep things as quite as we can.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are doing a great job considering everything you're struggling with.

I have a friend who has a severely traumatised rescue dog (more or less dumped on her). After about 3 years, she still hasn't been able to get a collar on him (he's not aggressive, just terrified), so he has never left her tiny house and garden. Obviously it's not ideal, but it's the best for him, and he is reasonably content and feels safe. This is an extreme case - this dog probably has severe PTSD or similar - but it goes to show that sometimes a dog is better off without walks, or only very short ones.
Thankyou:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Look we would all love to live the ideal life with a field in front of the door but we cant have ideal so we make do with what we have.. And what you have to offer is love and time and patience and the fact that you are a person who understands how stressful the world can be and you are here looking for answers instead of ignoring his distress which makes you a pretty darn good owner in my book.

Here something else. We all have bad days /weeks we all have moments of meltdown when we think we cant cope.. We all suffer self doubt from time to time so dont beat yourself up about that.

One neighbour of mine had a dog who always wanted to go with her on walks but when they got to the park/playing field he wouldnt get out of the car so she would leave him sitting in the back with the hatch open knowing full well he would be happy as anything just laying there watching the world go by. Not ideal but it worked for them...
Thats the thing if it works for you and your dog its the right thing.

Its not about whats in a book or what some trainer says it has to be, its about what works so if putting him in the pram and pushing him round the block works to help him get used to the outside again thats fine. If he is happy staying home thats ok too.. And if the pram is a safe haven when walking so be it..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dogs understand us more it's his owner energy, fear, and tensions thats making him worried and uneasy.
You need to feel cheering & happy, forget the stress, need to spent time with your dog, make him exercise, make him run and get tiered for sleep, make him eat small bowls couple of time a day and feed emotionally. If its you experiencing after lockdown and COVID19, its usual with city dogs. Mine is also uneasy these days wondering about whats going on. Where are all the peoples and cars.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dogs understand us more it's his owner energy, fear, and tensions thats making him worried and uneasy.
You need to feel cheering & happy, forget the stress, need to spent time with your dog, make him exercise, make him run and get tiered for sleep, make him eat small bowls couple of time a day and feed emotionally. If its you experiencing after lockdown and COVID19, its usual with city dogs. Mine is also uneasy these days wondering about whats going on. Where are all the peoples and cars.
Thankyou for your input

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope you are feeling a bit better today @Beardogjesse
Thankyou had a much better day today. Jesse was on edge until midday. We had huge winds bringing all sorts of smells but when that eased he had a deep sleep then another tonight. He hasnt had a proper deep sleep for weeks. I was tiptoeing around him like a sleeping baby:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts