Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone besides me feel like giving up on trying to counter condition? I am feeling really blue about Kuma's counter conditioning with car rides and zooming vehicles.

The car ride is coming along, but iIcan finally drive one block before he will retreat and try to get under the seat. It has gotten worse as he's decided he likes being tucked under the legs of the driver side which we have blocked off because that is the worst place to be when driving.

And I'm such at a loss of what to do with Kuma's anexiety/fear of zooming cars. Sometimes he is fine with them, other times its like his confidence is shot and I can't snap him out of it. It is such a huge change. He will walk, but won't take treats.

I think I'm at that point where I may need to call in a trainer, but it will be difficult as the nearest positive trainer is in Palmer and I don't know if they will be willing to help. I can do video chat, but thats going to be hard when your outside. Maybe if I send a recording to them? I don't know, just some brain storming I guess. I can't wait to move out of this little town.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
Counter conditioning is like that, one step forward, 3 back, 4 sideways. It's totally normal. So take heart, it's not you doing something wrong, or that it's not working, this is just how it goes.

It's hard to figure out what a dog is reacting to and why. It took me the longest time to figure out (I think) why Kabota would ignore 95% of bicycles and go bonkers at the other 5%- squeaky. I think he's reacting to squeaky (poorly maintained) bikes and most of the time the sound is too high pitched for me to hear.

You may not be able to perceive why your dog reacts to some cars and not others, which is frustrating and make things more difficult. It could also be that some days he's tired or achey or something else frightened him. There's so much that goes into reactivity and he can't just tell you what's going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sometimes hubby tells me to give up and that it's not working. He said if we raised him yes we would probably have a great dog, but we didn't and I should just leave him be. But I can't ignore the fact that he loses confidence so quickly. I know that knowing why will probably never be figured out, but I just want him to enjoy the rest of his life in comfort.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top