Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 1/2 years ago, our family dog passed away at 12 years old. She was a great dog, very calm and very gentle.
We decided to get a puppy 6 months later. A mixed male (Bernese Mountain Dog, Appenzeller, and Entlebucher). We brought him home, but he seemed quite bored despite my repeated attempts of playing with him.
We figured that he missed the company of other dogs since he came from a kennel type set up. We decided to get another pup. We should have thought it through more, but we acted rather hastily.
We brought home a second dog, a female black Labrador Retriever. There is 8 weeks between them in age. Surprisingly, the puppy stage went rather smoothly because they became fast friends and kept each other occupied by constantly playing and roughhousing.
Now they both recently celebrated their 1 year birthdays and I have a big dilemma on my hands. They are very sweet and loving, but extremely hyperactive.
We've tried bringing them to training school and they both do well there. They have absolutely no problems with tricks and the male dog is an expert when it comes to agility courses!
The problem mostly lies with becoming over excited, jumping up (despite trying every method to make them stop), and pulling on leashes during walks. They both weigh about 60 pounds each and it isn't easy to control them!
They feed into each other too. When one becomes hyperactive, then the other one starts. I will try to pat the male dog and the female will tackle him and play bite his cheek and then when I try to pat the female dog then the male dog just pushes her out of the way. In the end, I end up with two dogs wrestling at my feet almost knocking me over.
I want them to be a part of the family like our old dog was, but I find myself putting them outside in our fenced in backyard (it is a huge space) for most of the day. They are just too hyperactive and destructive to be inside for long periods.
I feel guilty because I know that having them inside with me would help train them, but I don't want my house destroyed. The male dog listens somewhat better than the female and I sometimes regret that I didn't work on the one puppy before deciding to get another one!
What is done is done though. There would be no way that I'd want to give either of them up now because I love them both.
Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with not one, but two, hyperactive dogs? Does any of it have to do with age? They are still in the puppy stage right?
P.S. They are spayed and neutered.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like to take my my huskies on super fast long bike rides (one at a time of course.) They do slow down a bit and don't pull after their sudden burst of energy is out. Then I ride at a smooth pace while they jog for a couple blocks, they come home, and pass out! (Make sure you dog is okay with the bike first and does not pass in front of the bike but always next to you! You don't want to run over them!) Hope I helped!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had a massive post written out but my phone ran out of battery grrr!

How much exercise are they getting daily? As well as separate training sessions and time away from each other to settle?

I would look into crate training, with their destructiveness and energy level I feel they need somewhere safe where they can go to be away from each other. If they like to roughhouse there's nothing wrong with that but if it's going on all day they'll not be settling down they'll just be constantly amped up.

I think some structure in regards to their exercise, mental stimulation and training will help. So feeding them separately with food dispensing toys, taking them out for an off leash walk in a secure, fenced area, bringing them back and allowing them to settle down for a nap, having separate training sessions with them working on crate training or loose leash walking.

Look into different chews like antlers or bully sticks, treat dispensing toys like Kongs, a flirt pole is also a great fun toy that's really good for burning off energy.

Here's a method I like to use and have had success with when teaching loose leash walking, it takes time so don't expect it to work instantly. STICK with it.
http://youtu.be/EyG0oF5-d0w
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
I too would like to know how much hard exercise(not running on their own out in the back yard, more like playing fetch, long walks/runs, possibly dog parks if you're into that, etc) they are getting, it should be at minimum 2, ideally more like 3, hours a day it sounds like for their energy levels. A tired dog is a good dog and high energy dogs can be a pretty big time commitment.
If they pull on the leash you can work on training loose leash walking as was mentioned, and try a headcollar or harness, particularly a front attach harness will definitely help w/ pulling.
Best of luck w/ keeping your two dogs busy and mentally stimulated, it can be challenging w/ high energy dogs, but it is that much more rewarding to go to bed w/ a quiet and tired out dog from a long full day of exercise and mental stimulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts