Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Sorry this is kinda long)
Today my sister and my brother and her fiance (+ nieces and nephews), came over to celebrate my sisters birthday. It was a long day for Sawyer. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just the adults but my borthers kids really have no idea how to act around Sawyer and he already is anxious/nerveous around children to begine with. No matter how many times they've come over and or were told not to. They run at full speed and yell/scream in front of him. Take out toys they know freak out Sawyer and instead of going outside to play with them, they yell and play with them inside. They stick there faces near his and go twoards him without waiting for him to figure out what he wants to do. And today while we were eating lunch and Sawyer was in his crate, and they were running full speed past his cage multipull times which clearly rilled him up and got him agitated and barking (he was already a bit upset having to be in cage while we eat), and my brothers fiances son started barking back at him..... I mean really, they have dogs at home so you think they would now how to be calm and respectfull to a dog. and for the most part my brother and his fiance are ok at telling them to stop or not do something around Sawyer and yet they continue to do it. I feel really bad for Sawyer because he always ends up getting blamed or kenneled/staying in a room with me the whole time on top of getting stressed because of them.
Then my sister was talking to my brother about getting a electric fence for her dogs when they move. Which I can only hope doesnt ruin her dogs. One of them is a semi (I'm not sure on the specifics) dog agressive jack russel x fox terrier, the other is a shy/nerveous/submisive shepherd mix and then there's the young under exercised mystery mix. So I can only asume that will go well......
And something that suprised me is that she didn't think her dogs are overwieght. I was talking to her about Sawyer being 52 but still overweight (not much but enough that I want him to loose 4 more pounds). And she acted like I was nuts thinking he was overweight and that 4ish pounds inst anything to worry about, and was suprised I only feed him 1 1/3 cups a day instead of 1 1/3 twice a day. Her dogs don't get nearly enough excersize as they should, and the shepherd x and jrtxfox terrier are clearly overweight. They have no waistline at all and especially the jrtxfox terrier is puddgy beyong have no waist and she's an older dog now. Even my brothers fiance was suprised when I said Sawyer was still a bit overwight and still needed to loose a bit more.
The upside of today though, he had a vet apointment this morning and did really well with getting his 4 shots with blood drawn. He still had to wear a muzzle but he did well. And he didmt even bark or growl at people passing while we stopped at the groccery store (I stayed in the care with him, my mom jsut needed to pick up a few extra things) or when we stopped to get coffee. Though I suppose it could have been because he was a bit "sleepy" from all the shots but it was still progress for him, so that was nice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I will be honest. I don't think I would have waited for your family members to straighten the kids out. I would have handled it myself. I will say that it's a family thing for me, that's how we handle business.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Poor Sawyer. It's sad when people don't understand your dog has needs too. Asha is scared of men and I hate it when I tell people how to act with her as to not freak her out and then they do exactly what I tell them not to do.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I hate stuff like that. Poor Sawyer, and poor you!

These days I flat out say most my family members can't come and meet my dogs, especially not indoors. There are a select few who can come say hi to Kasper (calmer with people he knows than Zoey), and even fewer - pretty much just my dad - who can say hi to Zoey.

Back when we'd only had Kasper for less than 6 months a family member asked to bring her three kids over, aged about 10 and 8 at the time. I said yes. They came over and she neglected to tell me that her kids were scared of dogs...wth?! :mad: So every time Kasper went to say hi they screamed and backed away, and one of them burst into tears because Kasper sat near him...dear god.

Also when Kasper was newly adopted, just as we were getting to grips with his fear of strangers, my bf's parents came for a visit. We clearly explained we would go for a short walk with Kasper, before they came into our house, and they were to completely ignore him. Then we'd go inside, they would give him treats, and we'd see how Kasper did. They pulled up in the car, got out and we started heading for a walk and they immediately called to Kasper, leaned over him, reached for his head etc etc AAAAAAGH!!! Then after the walk we went indoors and bf's mum said "oh, we're supposed to ignore him now aren't we?", to which bf replied "it's a bit late for that..." :rolleyes: :D

Is there any way you could keep Sawyer in another room next time those kids come over? Or give him a break by taking him on several walks with just you? I know it sucks when members of your family don't understand why you do the things you do for your dog, and think you're excessive - I get that a lot too...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm sorry that the kids stress Sawyer out. :(

I would say that for his sake, and the kids', to just keep him in a safe room next time they're over. That way you don't have to worry about them stressing him out. Remember, kids (just like dogs) aren't always on their best behavior when we want them to be. Being in a new environment with new toys can get them really riled up and excited. :) So best to keep Sawyer away from the craziness so he doesn't get stressed!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried putting him by himself in a room before. Just crating, but I think it moght be worth a try next time. Unfortunetly it was to hot hot yesterday to go for a walk, he wasn't even really interested in playing frisbe outside durring the day.

The hard thing for Sawyer is, he does like to be around people (once he's comfertable with you). But with kids, when we first got him he was terrfied of them, he barked backed away, lunged a littld and growled the first time he met my nephews (this is not long after we first gof him). Currently he's only "comfertable" with my nephews and my youngs cousins. Both of witch like to run around and yell and play with toys. I think how he is now is a combination of stress, nerveousness, and just over all not nowing what to do withimself when children are around.

Red- I can't believe she would bring her kids when she knew they were scared of dogs. That didn't sound like a fun day for anyone

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I know, the kids' mum then tried to excuse the kid's behaviour by saying that a few weeks ago the 8 year old was "attacked" by a SBT (this was before we had Zoey, but I was still a huge Staffy lover!). I asked what happened, and apparently an off lead Staffy ran up to the kid and sat at his feet, tail wagging, asking for a stroke - and that's an attack how?!
(sorry for ranting in your thread :D )

We put Kasper in a separate room (in his crate) with frozen Kongs when we have people over that would either scare him or rile him up too much. He does really well, sometimes he's too busy to even bark when he hears them come in!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its ok, wow that sounds like a scary happy pitty pitty attention atack lol

Thaks for the tips ill have to try then

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
@Sabina88 There was an obese Aussie at work today- body condition score of 5. I thought of you, not because Sawyer was ever anywhere near that big, but because I wish his owners were more like you and proactive about keeping his weight down. He JIGGLED when he moved! Beautiful red merle coat though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Revolutionrocknroll,
Did you mean 6 or 7 body weight condition? 4 and 5 are good.

Wow I hope they make a change to help him loose weight.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link, ive only seen the 1-9 one. Wow now I really get what you meant by "He JIGGLED when he moved!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.