Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how any of you can wait to get a puppy. I've been planning for a few months now, making sure I have the time and resources available. I ended up having a set back with loosing the place I was living at, but now I'm getting a place with a yard and allows dogs. So I'm back on track.

I've been in contact with a breeder who has a few week old litter. She invited me to come see the mother and the pups. I haven't heard a reply to the email after she invited me to come see the litter. So I'm going to call tomorrow. I know sometimes email isn't the best way to rely on for info. I hate calls, but I will do it.

But she posted more pictures of the litter and I am just going crazy here thinking about it. I'm already planning sleeping schedules, training, feeding, socializing and so on. I'm also weighing in the fact of how hard raising a puppy is but I want it...so bad. Lol

How do any of you handle the wait and setting it up?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yeah puppies... No Way. Never again :D

I just like my time to be mine too much to be a fan of raising them.

Waking up at 4 AM? not missing that

Stepping into warm poop barefeet first thing in the morning? nope, can pass that

Ripped clothes/wearing only ugly old stuff for months ? No thank you.

Hiding everything so the lil monster wont eat it? Ugh

Not for all the money in the world.

Sorry, Ella was a handful :p

What breed are you getting?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@secrets0stolen Keep them coming, maybe it will make me dread it a little bit more. I won't be so dang excited to bring one home. Though I think it will probably stay like that until the pup comes home and won't let us sleep. Right about then I will be thinking about what I just did. I'm sure the boyfriend is going to be thrilled as well. I've been warning him about the truth for months now! He still says its okay. Haha. I'm going to be getting an Australian Shepherd. I need a backpacking buddy that has the energy to keep up and will love training as much as I do. I also really like agility so wanted a dog that would be sound enough for that and would enjoy it.
@revolutionrocknroll Haha. I knew if I walked into a shelter that would happen. I've been avoiding it. I love rescue dogs but I have an opportunity and the time for a puppy and once in my life I would like to raise one. That way I can socialize and train to hopefully have a very well rounded dog. Luckily I also won't have the place with a yard until October so I can't jump into anything anyways. Doesn't mean I'm not going stir crazy though!

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh another Aussie puppy here will be wonderful! Get ready to have your hands full. And also to be laughing all the time. Probably one of the most comical breeds I have ever had the pleasure of owning!

That all said, I do not miss having a puppy. And am SO glad I got Forbes a little bit older.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be spamming with tons of pictures when I do get one! I love how goofy they are and they always are funny. I know I am going to have my work cut out for me. I'm already thinking of all the dog proofing and watching I'm going to have to do. I still can't wait. Haha.

Managed to get in contact with the breeder, she co-owns the female and says that she will be out of town for a week. The female and pups are with the other co-owner, but won't be viewable until she gets back. She says she will contact me then. I'm worried that it might be a red flag.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm amazed both Tessa and I survived her puppyhood lol. I still don't know how she ate the heels off of my high heels that were in my closet. She was in a crate when I left, 5 feet from the closet and the heels, and still in the crate when I came back! and there were my fave lace heels shredded beside her... Boggles the mind.

I also don't miss worrying about Parvo, worrying about what she could've gotten in to, wear clothes that essentially made me look homeless, fearing hopping into the shower incase she felt abandoned (yeah I'm one of those people lol), and living off of under 3 hours of sleep. Oh and don't forget about the biting, Oh the biting! Then there's the herding instinct, puppy destructo time, and the "witching" hour when they get all that naughtiness build up and unleashed onto an unsuspecting specimen.

Tessa was a little monster who, I'm sure, was sent by some alien race to destroy me. She's lucky she's cute.

But then......I'm due for a "good" puppy right?

Congrats on the Aussie! I'll look forward to pics! I's gots the fevers bad too. One day I hope to share a new addition that's in the works over here but that's 1-2 years out :D

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ugh, I'm having such a hard time waiting. The breeder I'm on a waiting list with posts pictures constantly of the pups she currently has, and it's so hard to wait. But I've waited six months already, so I can handle another six months, right? I mean, at least this means I won't have to deal with snow and ice and salt right away with a young puppy, hopefully...

Yeah, having a really hard time waiting, but I know it'll be worth it! In the mean time, I live vicariously through all the posts here...

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Nope, I do not miss living with a very cute goat x beaver x alligator x new born baby x siren x leaky faucet has been cleverly disguised as a puppy. I still remember the puppy I raised and it's been over 19 years. Every now and then I start to lose what little sanity I have left and think it'd be nice to have another puppy but I know the cure for it. I go visit a friend who is raising a puppy, play with the pup, get my hands bit, watch as my friend cleans up a potty accident, and suddenly I no longer want a puppy.

Give me a dog that's around a year or older any day of the week, keep the puppies.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe so many horror stories. I worry a bit that I am too confident on having everything planned out. From training to eagle eye watching and containment. My boyfriend is starting to think that I am a crazy dog training lady. (Okay I totally am) he is a much more laid back dog owner. He is half convinced I'm going to ruin any fun of a puppy because I say no jumping up or biting games from the start. :eyeroll:
@Sha I'll give you credit for having to wait another month. The breeder had pictures up of this litter and I'm already going crazy. @KayWilson sounds like you are in line for a good puppy, then again bad things always come in threes right? Just need to wait until the forth.

In exciting news I get to meet the mom and litter on Saturday!!! Now I'm thinking of unimportant aspects of picking out the puppy. Do I choose boy or girl? Red Merle or black tri? In truth I just want a confident, but not overly assertive pup. Color and gender don't matter as much.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You're much more likely to get a pup you like if you're going just for personality and not appearance! It makes things easier on the breeder too, happily. Going for a certain personality and gender AND look can take a whole lot of searching.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're much more likely to get a pup you like if you're going just for personality and not appearance! It makes things easier on the breeder too, happily. Going for a certain personality and gender AND look can take a whole lot of searching.
Which is what I'm planning on doing. I'm going to choose a confident puppy that shows a lot of curiosity. I think that fits what I want the best because they seem to enjoy training the most. My dog Pepper was like that and I would love to have that again.

Its just fun to consider colors and genders when I have to sit here and wait.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Redwood - They do! I honestly don't know if I could choose one if I did have to pick only based off of color. I sure hope I'm up for it, haha. I did a lot of thinking about if I could handle one before contacting breeders.
@zoorun I'm excited I'll have a four legged hiking buddy back! It will be a year before I'd do any serious hiking with the pup, but the idea just makes me happy! I'll take hundreds of photos. I'll post them probably in the new addition forum if I'm able to make a choice and I like the breeders and mom.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd love to see him! They are so bouncy and just happy goof balls. My heart melts every time one comes into work.

The pups are three weeks old. If they can go home exactly at the 8 weeks it means I get a puppy for my birthday!

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
47 Posts
The breeder should be able to help match a puppy with the most suitable personality for your home. :)
Man I know how you feel though. I think i'm getting a puppy this spring, bout time. Been waiting two years! Two years of convincing my family it wont be a nightmare. I really hope I don't make myself look like an idiot. lol

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My favorite colors are red tri and red merle :) Aussies are one of the few breeds where I don't have a big preference for sex though. Males seem a little more goofy and females seem a little more mature/serious ime but they're all awesome, fun dogs. I'd love to have one someday (when I actually have a house/land).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts