Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started 2 days ago. It's pretty light. A few drips on her blanket each night. Wants to pee more often. Seems to be cognizant that something new is happening but doesn't seem that stressed.

2 more weeks right? is it normal that it's not that much flow? Is it normal that mamaries haven't swollen?

The baby is growing up. In light of this trying experience I'll forgive this terrible sit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You have a pretty dog. Keep those rascal boys away from her for awhile. LOL

·
Registered
911 Posts
Three weeks is the normal, but some dogs are longer and some are shorter. It was light in the beginning with Freyja too, but by the second week it became much heavier, by the third week it was slowing down and changed from a bright red to a reddish brown. I will suggest getting doggy panties, I used regular human pantie liners. Make sure she is always on lead when outside the house, even in your backyard just to be safe. Her mammary glands will swell later. The first week is the hormones starting to build up, normally the second week they are receptive. So do let that trick you into becoming lax. It's normally in the second week that the female will let a male mate her. The third week the hormones are winding down.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was light in the beginning with Freyja too, but by the second week it became much heavier, .
You weren't kidding. What a mess.

Poor girl is going stir crazy too. Dying to go out when out not being let off lead or near other dogs.

Thank god it's only twice a year.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would keep her away from other dogs for at least three weeks, I always keep them safe for four weeks just to be sure. Make sure you give her a good bath before you start taking her out or she will still smell interesting to the male dogs.

My 8 months old Golden x Poodle is more than halfway through her season (13 days) so I could quit putting the diaper on her as she has very little discharge now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry completely off track but WOW, the size of your dogs paws is crazy. Such a beautiful little woman.

I have never had a dog in heat before as mine have always been neutered before it happened so I have no advice sorry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They make sprays for dogs in heat don't they? To cover up the scent, I think I read something about it somewhere. Might come in handy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I highly doubt they would work. But the females smell is only part of the problem. Once the female is receptive she may try searching out a male and some females get flirty too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.