Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I'm in the process of trying to find a new food for Merlin. He's been eating Merrick Classic Real Lamb with Brown Rice and Apple (Merrick Classic Real Lamb, Brown Rice & Apple Dry Dog Food, 5 lbs. | Petco Store), but due to the fact that I can't buy the 15lbs bag in-store and it being out of stock online (not to mention it's hit or miss whether my local petco even has it), I'm considering switching to a different food that is a bit cheaper for the same-size bag.

After some searching, I came across the dog food brand Solid Gold and they carry food that is similar-ish (Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken Lamb, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Adult Dog Food, 4 lbs. | Petco Store) to the Merrick I've been feeding. Comparatively, the ingredients lists don't seem to be that vastly different and both brands have similar ratings on Dog Food Advisor. And I seem to be hearing fairly good things about Solid Gold online, just in general.

And now I am turning to the DF community to ask some questions. Does anyone has any experience with Solid Gold? Any horror stories I need to know about? Any cautions regarding ingredients? Etc.

Also, here are the links to the Dog Food Advisor reviews:
Solid Gold
Merrick

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Chewy's has the Merrick , and it's 3 dollars cheaper then Petco, if you don't mind ordering from them.

The Solid Gold doesn't look like a bad food, and it's got good reviews, but I've no experience with it. Chewy's has it $4 cheaper then Petco.

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@CadenceDiscordia long time no see how you all doing? might be good idea to get sample first?

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Rain Awesome! I keep forgetting about Chewy at a good option for ordering food online. I generally prefer being able to simply go in a store for the sake of convenience (read as: when I don't plan well and am running like a crazy person to get food at the last minute because I'm almost out), but have only recently started ordering online because Petco doesn't carry the 15lb bags of the Merrick in-store for some reason.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it : )

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@CadenceDiscordia long time no see how you all doing? might be good idea to get sample first?
I know! It's been a long time. I've been uber busy with school and life stuff. Thankfully things with Merlin are going well so I haven't had to get on here for advice and things like that much lately. We're both doing well, thanks for asking. I hope things are going well with you too!

And I will check and see if I can pick up a sample soon!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
This thread is really interesting, ive been wondering about this brand after seeing mentioned a few times here and there. For some reason I could sort of remember seeing the brand related to horses, since I swear ive seen their logo before, and through some searching apparently you can give some of the supplements to horses too (oddly enough its really hard to find info on). Anyways now that ive gotten way off topic and have realized im not quite loosing my mind lol, just through general looking it seems like a relatively good food. If you haven't already I would also look through the other reviews they have of DFA.com and reviews Solid Gold Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts