Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I apologise if this is the wrong place. However I believe it's linked to food.

Some of you may know I have a basset puppy who is coming up to eight months old. He seems to always have sloppy stools.
He has recently been to the vets for a check up and apparently she said he was the best example of a basset she has seen, his weight his cost etc were all excellent, however his stools are sloppy not soildy formed. When he starts it looks to be normal then the rest of it will be splatty. Also he doesn't stay in one place so it's like connect the dots.

Also on walks it's even more sloppy then what he does at home. Why is this. Could it be nervous which I don't understand because he loves going for walks but it comes out really wet and sloppy making it really hard to pick up, I do still pick it up.

The vet said he was on a good food and his stools are ok. However I would like them to be more formed and solid as it would be slot easier to clean up after him.

Also is there anything I could do about the walk stools.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The vet said he was on a good food and his stools are ok. However I would like them to be more formed and solid as it would be slot easier to clean up after him.

Also is there anything I could do about the walk stools.

Thanks.
Whats the good food?

·
Registered
900 Posts
It could be that the food is too rich in protein or too high in fat content. What are you feeding now? Do you give treats or any supplements as well?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Could be a food intolerance, could be colitis.

What food is he on, and have you tried doing an elimination diet?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told to add pumpking to my puppy's food and the stool even during a protein change remained mostly firm. Now that the food switch is complete I continue to add pumpkin. It does help with loose stool. hth's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The food is chappie. It's not my choice of food. However it was recommended by the vets as its meant to be good for dogs who has sensitive stomachs.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Vets don't know much about dog nutrition. They get very little teaching on it in school. It may be intended for sensative tummies, but it doesn't sound like it's working too well for your dog. I think I would look into another brand of food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts