Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, me and my wife recently brought MJ home from a pet store. She was very docile and could just stay cuddled up in your arms. When you put her down she loves to play. When we took her to the vet the week we got her she was 10 weeks and weigh 4.8 pounds. She now is 14 weeks and weighs 6 pounds. Doctor says she is a little skinny but since her activity level is the same and since she looks healthy that she is fine and maybe she is just a small dog. But most of the wheaten I read about they are all almost twice her size. Should I be worried, she is akc registered. Maybe they lied about her birthday? Help!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wouldn't be to suprised, since she is from a pet store... and yes, if the vet says she is fine, I wouldn't worry too much.
Such a cute girl ?

Poslano z mojega SM-G800F z uporabo Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree if you got her from a pet store its not that suprising that she may not end up being the breed standard. Did they give you or offer you any of her akc paper work?

Either way the important thing is that your vet said she's healthy. You cant really have an exact puppy weight per say since each dog is a individual. Females are usually smaller anyways. It could also be that she was the runt or her whole litter was on the smaller side. Then again she could grow to the standard size (or close to) anyways once she's an adult.
You can always talk to your vet about the food your feeding her, how much your giving her and if you need to feed more if you haven already. Have you asked your vet about you thinking she's small for her age and breed?

Very cute though :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I walk a wheaten like this... I call her a mini wheat :D

At 2 now, she can't be more than 20 lbs. free fed. Just a very high metabolism. She hit 6 months and pretty much stopped growing both upwards and outwards.
Kelly528 can you post some pictures of her?

I am feeding her 3 times a day. she eats well but usually does not finish. some people told me to start feeding her chicken and rice. but i kind of wanted to keep her eating just her food. maybe she will be a small wheaten, i have all her paperwork so she is purebred.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I have been searching for a small Wheaton Terrier
I agree if you got her from a pet store its not that suprising that she may not end up being the breed standard. Did they give you or offer you any of her akc paper work?

Either way the important thing is that your vet said she's healthy. You cant really have an exact puppy weight per say since each dog is a individual. Females are usually smaller anyways. It could also be that she was the runt or her whole litter was on the smaller side. Then again she could grow to the standard size (or close to) anyways once she's an adult.
You can always talk to your vet about the food your feeding her, how much your giving her and if you need to feed more if you haven already. Have you asked your vet about you thinking she's small for her age and breed?

Very cute though :)

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
Hello I have been searching for a small Wheaton Terrier
Please note that this thread is nearly 4 years old, and many of the posters in it are no longer active on the forum. You'd do best to start a new thread in either the Dog Breed forum, or the General Dog Discussion forum and ask about Wheaton Terrier Breeders in it. We do not allow people to sell, or give away, dogs on DogForum, but discussing breeders is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts