Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 week old shiloh shepherd. Ive been socializing her with as many things i can in a safe manner. I say "safe" as shes only had her first set of shots, 2nd to come in 3 days. Well im running out of ideas on how i can socialize her without the risk of her catching something. So really im looking for ideas to safely continue socialize due to her lack of vaccines. I am particularly interested in socializing with other dogs. Should i hold off on this till 12ish weeks? I have a few friends with dogs but most of them dont have ANY shots. So any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
With my puppy, I set the goal of visiting 3 new places a week with him. That took care of most things...people, dogs/other animals, different surfaces, vehicles, novel objects, etc. without me having to look for or set up specifics.

He also started classes at that age and has continued on since then. Nice as he has been exposed to a wide variety of breeds, including some not super common.

Look around for a nice Puppy K or other beginner level class. Puppy K's should include play time. Life Skills/basic Obedience type classes often do not, as the focus is more the dogs learning to work with their owner in a group setting. And that's an important part of socialization too... how to behave when dogs and people are nearby but not greeting. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I second the puppy classes...great opportunity for socialization. I had Pax in two different classes prior to 16 weeks that both had some playtime along with training time.

Advice my vet gave me was that it was OK for them to play with friend's dogs inside and in a controlled environment as long as I was sure that the other dogs were fully vaccinated and up on their shots.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I took Aayla everywhere I pretty much could. She went to home depot, outside of cafes, car rides, to my parents, to little parks (in a neighborhood that seems like all the dogs are vaccinated and they pick up after their dogs), to breweries, to her puppy socialization classes, outside of our local mall, riding in a shopping cart or carried through pet stores, and so much more. What I avoided was hiking, dog parks, dog beach, anywhere people didn't pick up after their animals, letting her walk around pet stores, and so on. Yet its all up to you on what you feel comfortable with.

If you want to be more conservative, just enroll in puppy classes and invite as many people as you can over to your house to visit with her.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately i no of no puppy classes anywhere near me. There is however a basic obedience class coming up that im going to try and enroll her in, but i believe they want the sog to be atleast 14 weeks but i know the instructor so im going to see if i can slide in.

But i have been trying to take her places that i know dogs dont go much if at all. But that doesnt help much with dog socializing. Im going to try tractor supply and pet smart while keeping her in a cart. But i do feel ill be overly conservative as i dont want to risk it with her. But what are the odds of her catching something with only two rounds of shots?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts