Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me figure out what happened to him?

Okay before I begin I just want to say that I called the emergency vet, who gave me some advice and said that since he snapped out of it and was totally normal afterward (will explain) that I didn't need an emergency visit unless he had some other symptom or it happened again. Also that I'm taking him to his regular vet asap and calling them as soon as theyre open tomorrow.

But I'm just so worried and I dont even know what happened and I'd really appreciate some insight in the meantime.

So here's what happened. Dexter had been sitting outside with my boyfriend for an hour or so before we left on a walk. He'd been going in and out of the house periodically for water or whatever else he wanted. When I got home, I put the leash on him and we left for our walk. It was hot today, 80ish.
We only made it about two blocks when Dexter started to pull to the side, and when I turned around I saw his eyes go down. He was in a complete trance. His eyes were down so that the top half of his eyes were all white, with his head pointed up. He got kind of rigid, wasn't walking or responding or anything, and started to wave his head around in slow circles. It was as if he were watching a fly buzz around him except I know he wasn't WATCHING anything. It was a total complete trance.
I was freaked out. REALLY freaked out. I stopped in my tracks, petting him and saying his name. We thought maybe he was dehydrated or having heat stroke, so we put a cap full of water on his tongue/in his mouth and poured some down his back and he snapped out of it right then. It was only a 15-30 second episode. He was back to normal instantly...
Thats when I called the emergency vet.
We stayed in that exact spot while I called the vet, probably for fifteen minutes and then while we were waiting for the vet to call back I took him down to this stream and he played and had a great time like he always does.
Other than that he's perfectly healthy and energetic... he has some diharrea that he's been seeing the vet for, and he's up to date on all his shots.
Does this sound like heat stroke? Or a seizure? I've never seen anything like this before :(

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is a situation for a vet, once you see your vet perhaps ask for a blood test , this may help narrow down what may have happened.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would definitely take him to the vet for an examination and blood test. One of my dogs used to have seizures and some of what you describe sounds like some of the symptoms Harley would exhibit (vacant stare, freezing, muscle rigidity).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts