Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LOVE to read! I read often and I read a variety of books.

What are you all currently reading OR what have you recently read that you recommend? I'm on the hunt for something new and just can't decide.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The last book I read (which was far too long ago) was The Tale of the Dueling Neuroscientists. It's a collection of self-contained chapters about various brain injuries and disorders through history.

Next on my list is anything by
and [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Psychopath-Test-Journey-Through-Industry/dp/1594485755"]The Psychopath Test[/ame]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The most recent book I read was The Lake House by Kate Morton. I love almost all of Kate Morton's books (there was one I didn't care for). She weaves the past with the present and it's always fun to read her work.

I also love Jennifer Donnelly. She's my favorite author. Her Tea Rose series is amazing, and she's got some other great books too.

And then...(just gazing at my bookshelf :))
Water for Elephants is great, but you may have read that one.

The Book of Unholy Mischief is really awesome too. I just randomly picked it up in the library one day and I really enjoyed it.

Also, Love Among the Walnuts. It's a really "fluffy" sort of book but it's a fun read and has such a great ending. Just kind of happy, all the way through.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Oh @PoppyKenna, I loved Water for Elephants. Sara Gruen also has 2 books about riding. Riding Lessons and Flying Changes. I read both of those as well. I would recommend those (although I haven't read them in years).

I haven't gone through a reading stage recently but the last few things I read were
The Fault in Our Stars - Oh it's a tear jerker. Seriously. I sat at my desk and cried. Lol.

Cora Carmack does a series that I read and enjoyed. Faking It/ Finding It/ Keeping Her.

Also I read If I Stay and Where She Went from Gayle Forman.

I need to get back on my reading game, it's just so hard to do with school.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Actually, holy crap, don't read the synopsis. It gives far too much away!

It takes place during the reaissance in Italy, and there is a growing power struggle in government and things turn violent. The protagonist is a 15 yr old young woman (and lover of art) who is drawn to a mysterious painter who her father hires to paint their chapel.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Actually, holy crap, don't read the synopsis. It gives far too much away!

It takes place during the reaissance in Italy, and there is a growing power struggle in government and things turn violent. The protagonist is a 15 yr old young woman (and lover of art) who is drawn to a mysterious painter who her father hires to paint their chapel.
That sounds similar to The Book of Unholy Mischief (kinda anyway). If you liked the time period and power struggle thing I highly recommend. I'm going to have to check out your recommendation!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Thanks, @PoppyKenna! I loved that book so much, and the political goings on was a big part of it. And the romance ;) I'm a sucker for it. I'm definitely going to give your recommendation a read!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I usually read two books at a time. One is usually a fantasy/sci fi book and one is usually a science nature book.

Right now I'm trying to get through the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series. I read the first four and then I watched the show before I read the fifth book, so I got really confused and now I'm trying to reread the whole series. They're WAY better than the show too. I definitely recommend them.

The science book I just started is "Inside of a Dog: What See, Smell, and Know" by Alexandra Horowitz. I can't comment either way because I only finished the first chapter so far.

Recommendations:

Fantasy:

- "Firebringer" and "The Sight" by David Clement-Davies
These books are pretty dark animal fantasies. The first is pretty much a very epic "Watership Down" with red deer. The latter is about wolves and is kind of related to the first book but not actually a sequel.

- The Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik
Basically if the Napoleonic Wars were fought with dragons. It's a very interesting combo of history and fantasy.

- The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
Just gonna put it out there because, (sadly), some people haven't read them!

Science/Nature:

- Anything by Temple Grandin
"Animals Make Us Human" is my favorite book of hers!

- "Merle's Door" by Ted Kerasote

- "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel Levitan
The psychology behind humans and music- how our brain processes it, why we like the music we like, how music theory works on a psychological level.

- "Animal Wise" by Virginia Morell
Interesting book about the cognitive abilities of difference species. It covers everything from ants and fish to primates and dolphins.

Dog Books (but not science books):

- "Show Dog" by Josh Dean
Very insightful look into the culture of dog shows. It follows the rise of an Australian Shepherd, Jack.

- "The Lost Dogs" and "Wallace the Pit Bull" by Jim Gorant
"The Lost Dogs" is very sad, it's about the Michael Vick dogs and has some pretty graphic parts. "Wallace" is about a rescued Pit Bull who becomes a disc dog champion. Both are very good reads though, and I really enjoyed his writing style.

My problem is I buy more books before I finish what I currently have!
I'm guilty of that too.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Wow, I'm super boring, all of my books are basically dog books.

I really like "Bones would Rain from the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier, and as nerdy as it sounds I could read "Sense and Sensibility", "Pride and Prejudice" and "Emma" by Jane Austen every day. Oh, or Sherlock Holmes.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Well I have just purchased the new Harry Potter and the Cursed child, have just started reading it!
I came here to say that I am finishing up my summer semester of school this week and purchasing this to read.

I have actually not read any of the Harry Potter books and at this point I don't feel I ever will. I know, I'm horrible. But I LOVE the movie.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Wow, I'm super boring, all of my books are basically dog books.
Then I'm super duper boring. Mine are mainly technical. Standars for electrical installations, Probability and Stastics, Physics for Electrical Engineers, Formula One Racing, a world atlas..........

But I do read books. I have quite a collection on my Kindle including pretty much all the Sherlock Holmes stories and quite a few that are lesser known.
Reading "My Grandfather's Eyes" at the moment.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Just finished capital in the 21st century because I was sick of being the only one who hadn't read it. Now am suspecting that many claiming to have read it didn't.

Great read though.

Also recently finished shapin's history of the pencil. Don't let the name put you off, it's excellent.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I collect dog books but I don't want to pay much so mine are mostly bought when some library is getting rid of old books to make space for new ones. Thus they are old. Some I have bought new from bookstore sales and there is a handful I've found from flea-markets. I have both text books (mostly breed catalogues or by Finnish authors) and novels. Ummm... Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight (sort of obvious, look what breed Alva is!), half of a Finnish series about a GSD named Roi, two of James Herriot's books, Bel-Ria, one Jack London's book (Call of the Wild, I think), Ginny, the dog who saves cats, Sam, the search and rescue dog by Angela Locke, some other books and Caroline Hebard's So Others May Live (or something like that) about SAR dogs too.

Then I have some older travel books with lots of pictures, books of other animals and nature, a book about churches as buildings (no idea how I became its owner), some dictionaries, some of them for languages I don't know, some books of chemistry and other sciences, one 100 years old book about household medicine, and one book about aeroplanes. I actually bought it when it was for sale at the library. I thought my dad would be interested in the graphs about its engines.

I am now trying to read through Steven Brust's Book of Jhereg. It is a fantasy collection of his three books and the only one of his books I found in the library (btw. where do English speaking people find things? Germans find them in somewhere, Finns find them from somewhere. I've somehow missed which preposition English uses.). I have difficulties so it probably is not a book for my tastes. I mostly read detective stories. If I run into an interesting review or mention about some fantasy book, I'll give it a try. This far I've read HP series and LoTR trilogy. I've read something else very likely but nothing surfaces at this hour of the day. I keep an eye on the book-crossing/trading shelf at the local library and pick up books there. Most of those are fluffy romance books which I don't officially read if anyone asks.

I am also reading The Genius of Dogs by Hare & Woods. Before that I read Dog Sense.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I finished The Psychopath Test earlier today. It wasn't what I expected, but it was engaging and interesting. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in psychology.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts