Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Cosmo gets older I learn new things about him. Today I really didn't like the new thing!

Object he values is on ground. He is across the room. Dog b goes to sniff object or approaches it. Cosmo lunges across the room and bites dog b.

I tried doing an exercise where I had him on leash more than leash length away and put the object of interest in front of dog b and had them try it (a puzzle toy)

Cosmo snarled on leash and stood and tried to go take it back but he was on leash so I just told him to sit and wait. After they finished the food slot (it's an easy puzzle) I then let him try.

Not sure if this will be affective? Any ideas? Really don't like this behavior!

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone I'll definitely check that out! The tough thing is Cosmo seems to feel entitled to all objects, and especially those involving food - even if he isn't in possession of them. He will literally attack across the room if he even THINKS another dog is interested in it.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll check them out and update !

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It amuses me that a simple thing like pushing is rejected because it might help more than one issue. Why not try it, if it doesn't work then you have all those other things to try: LAT, BAT, CAT... which are all desensitizing techniques that dull the dog's response to stimuli whereas pushing provides a way for the dog to get the stuck energy moving and out of their body.
I didn't say I was rejecting it or wasn't going to try it. I said I'm not using it for everything because you said it can cure everything which is silly and naive imo.

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@cos just wanted to add that management is going to be super important! I would make sure food, toys, and anything else he may guard is not out when around other dogs (unless it's needed for a training session). If you do not have much control over the environment then for now I probably wouldn't allow much freedom. Perhaps leashed or in some other way limiting ability to reach other dogs, and would be heavily reinforcing appropriate behavior both cued and uncued. And would avoid locations other dogs are off leash or otherwise not well managed.:)
Yeah I've been working on that! The two dogs in the house aren't mine, and someone mentioned training them but I both have limited access to them, and I don't want to impose my training methods on their dogs when it's not even my house (boyfriends mom's house). But for now, I've been keeping all items in our room that he might guard like his new toys he really likes (a toy pheasant particularly) and especially food items like his buffalo horn and his puzzle toys.

I actually practiced with tossing his pheasant to Jasmine, one of the dogs, and he was on leash but he didn't jump at her when she played with it which was SO good! So I treated and praised and he got to play wiht the pheasant more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.