Dog Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I'm outside in the front yard doing some much needed and much loathed gardening. I'm sorry I live in the Phoenix valley it is over 100 out and who wants to pull weeds?

Anyway I digress. Outside, lawn work, kids roller skating and riding their bikes.

Youngest comes up to me and says "Mom! I found kittens." So I don't think much of it because we live in an area with a lot of outside barn cats. I go over to see the kittens - I mean kittens are cute of course I wanted to admire them.

Turns out that they were not at all kittens - they were puppies. Two of them very tiny itty bitty puppies (like half a pound each tiny). No mother in sight and I wasn't going to leave them out there. I mean even if Mom was taking care of them it is not safe out there. I am hoping to catch the mother though I have yet to see any little dogs that look like they are nursing.

We did of course take them to the vet who thinks they are around 3wks of age. They were a little dehydrated but otherwise seem to be in good condition. Though one of them has a little bit of a rash near her lower belly.

So now I have bottles, eye droppers in case the bottles do not work, puppy formula, puppy calorie supplement, and a gallon of goats milk in case they have a bad reaction to the puppy formula.

So welcome tiny freaks of nature! you will be safe here for the next couple of months.

Suppose I will have to try and come up with names. I wouldn't want to call them "Hey you!" or "Puppy one"

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
There so adorable, that's awesome that your taking care of them for the time being.

Lol, after I read "Puppy one", I couldn't help but think of the names "thing one" and "thing two" front dr. seuss.

Good luck with them :)

Reactions: cookieface

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know how phoenix is. I live up in prescott, It was nice to day. 80 for us. Still that is to hot for my liking. 70 would be nice. Good luck with them. I had to raise two baby rats after their mother died.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Could the pups have been abandend by the owners this the reason of no mother in sight? Or maybe something happened to the mother. Three weeks the mother would not venture too far from them I would think. Especially if she was a stray.

Good luck and thanks for caring for them. Temp names... U didn't mention male or female. How about she-ra and he-man for temperary names? Or ur favorite cartoon characters growing up? I could see one as being named Bambi.
I have a lot of respect for people who would take in a litter of puppies. I know I couldn't handle taking care of them properly.

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Registered
15 Posts
Several years ago, I raised 2 pups that a friends dog had because the mother had been trying to abandon (stuff in trash boxes) them. She had a very large litter and they were the runts. Good on you for raising them. One thing I found helped a lot initially was a pillow that had a heat pack and electronic heartbeat. The pups would struggle up to it and it soothed them. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I know this is kind of gross but did the vet show you how to help them go to the bathroom. They don't just go at that age they need to be stimulated which the mom does by licking but us humans use a warm wash cloth. Just checking to make sure all the bases are covered.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are doing really well! we actually have them in a box -inside one of our reptile tanks (minus the reptile! we had a spare) with an under tank heater so they are toasty. They are feeding well on goats milk and are pooing and peeing regularly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
They are doing really well! we actually have them in a box -inside one of our reptile tanks (minus the reptile! we had a spare) with an under tank heater so they are toasty. They are feeding well on goats milk and are pooing and peeing regularly.
Haha!! I love that you felt you should add 'minus the reptile!' :rofl:
So glad they were found by you (& your son) at least the little guys will safe until they can be adopted :thumbsup: How about calling them Bambi & Thumper for now :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi everyone,

So I'm outside in the front yard doing some much needed and much loathed gardening. I'm sorry I live in the Phoenix valley it is over 100 out and who wants to pull weeds?

Anyway I digress. Outside, lawn work, kids roller skating and riding their bikes.

Youngest comes up to me and says "Mom! I found kittens." So I don't think much of it because we live in an area with a lot of outside barn cats. I go over to see the kittens - I mean kittens are cute of course I wanted to admire them.

Turns out that they were not at all kittens - they were puppies. Two of them very tiny itty bitty puppies (like half a pound each tiny). No mother in sight and I wasn't going to leave them out there. I mean even if Mom was taking care of them it is not safe out there. I am hoping to catch the mother though I have yet to see any little dogs that look like they are nursing.

We did of course take them to the vet who thinks they are around 3wks of age. They were a little dehydrated but otherwise seem to be in good condition. Though one of them has a little bit of a rash near her lower belly.

So now I have bottles, eye droppers in case the bottles do not work, puppy formula, puppy calorie supplement, and a gallon of goats milk in case they have a bad reaction to the puppy formula.

So welcome tiny freaks of nature! you will be safe here for the next couple of months.

Suppose I will have to try and come up with names. I wouldn't want to call them "Hey you!" or "Puppy one"
OMG, they are really freaking adorable! That's awesome that you've taken them in to care for them and give them a good start in life. You have your hands very full right now with all the new additions - hat's off to you ma'am!! :D

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Puppy update!

They are tiny little hamster puppies still. I tried to weigh them yesterday but they would not stay still enough to get an accurate weight but they are between 10-12 ounces.

They are now lapping up goats milk from a dish and I have started them on puppy mush. They are very enthusiastic about the mush though get more of it on themselves than in themselves!

Gave them a bath today - and need to clip their tiny feet talons once my daughter gets home and can help hold the squirmy buggers.

We have named the smaller of the two Esther, the other one is Gloria!

They are the cutest bug eyed alien things on the block! Still no sight of Mom though we left food and water out where we found the puppies. The food is gone but who knows what actually ate it.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a lot of chihuahua in there - not sure what else there might be but right now I just see chihuahua. Lil' bug eyed alien chihuahuas!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My daughter donated one of her stuffed toys to the chihuahua puppies today!

It is a good thing they are cute because man the amount of laundry these two alien bug puppies make is astonishing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.