Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two are crated, one sleeps on couch. Youngest on couch. Two crate get let out, couch continues to sleep. Largest one outside starts howling sibling follows suit. Couch sleeper gets up then we let out. I think this beta pack behavior, however hard to find definitive information on the net. Can anyone point me to some pack behavioral books or information?

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Nope, but I can link you to a lot of info about how the old pack theory has been disproved.

Dogs tend to for loose societies, and not packs. Even wolves do not form packs like it was formerly believed, but they form family units with the breeding pair being the leaders, and the rest of the "pack" made up of cubs. The older cubs will help tend to the younger, and as the cubs reach sexual maturity they will go off to start their own "pack".

What feral dogs, like the ones found in India, do is form loose, fluid, groups. They will congregate around food sources, or females in heat, and friendships may form. The ones that are friends may band together to control a territory, but none is truly alpha, they do not fight over control of the pack, but may squabble over resources.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts